Sunday, September 20, 2009

Continued Amazement

I went out in the back yard last night after it got mostly dark. I just wanted to take a brief look around for no particular reason. Going over to our small goldfish pond, I noticed something reflecting some light just above the water. An orb spider had made a web just above the water of the pond and was in the middle of it waiting for an insect to catch itself on the sticky webbing.
Now, this may not seem like so much of a big deal, and you know that I am fond of orb spiders this time of the year. I’ve even been known to not drive into the garage for several days because a spider had made her web of “doom” across the opening and I didn’t want to disturb her (the feminine is used in deference to “Charlotte’s Web”) in her business.
This web, however, was horizontal…parallel to the water in the pond, and just a few inches above it. It also stretched across the entire width of the pond, which at that point was six feet or more. I’ve never seen such a thing. Most spiders build their webs vertically and perpendicular to the ground. Not this one.
That brings me back to the wonderment of just how this spider accomplished this task. One of the supporting brace webs was even anchored on a water plant in the middle of the water.
The completed web didn’t sag, even with the weight of the spider and some insects that had already met their fate. The spider seemed unconcerned that a thousand gallons or more of water were just below her and continued her business.
I’ve watched these spiders as they put at least parts of their webs together. I evermore continue to be fascinated and humbled by this handiwork of God’s creation. Soli Deo Gloria

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find spider webs,(not cobwebs) to be some of the most fascinating feats of nature. I'd love to have seen this one. I have seen some horizontal ones in the grass in the arboretum, but nothing that matches your description. I love reading your blogs, no matter what you write about.
Thanks, Jay
This is from Clara using Wayne's blogging rights