Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Emus and Cardboard

A couple of things happened today that I never even dreamed would happen. Have you ever said to yourself, “I never would have thought in a hundred years that…” I said that twice today.
The first was a commercial on TV over the lunch hour. We had the kitchen set on while we were dining on leftover chicken soup, and a commercial came on for emu oil. It’s been on before, but I hadn’t thought about the fact that this one minute spot was constructed to convince the viewer that he or she needed emu oil for good health and wellness. It’s like, “Oh, I’ve never thought of that before! I know now that I really, really need emu oil! Thank you for letting me know that!”
Never in a hundred years would I have thought that someone would try to sell me emu oil.
The second happened at work. Someone brought some pastries and coffee from Starbucks. The therapy girls asked me if I wanted any. I took them up on the coffee…I don’t get Starbucks very often, as I’ve never been in a store ( and don’t intend to start any time soon). They pointed me to the coffee…in a cardboard container with a pour spout.
Never in a hundred years would I have thought that I would be pouring coffee out of a cardboard container.
So, there you have it, folks. I am continually amazed at how ignorant and hopelessly…um…OLD I am when compared with those in the avant garde ranks who slather emu oil over their bodies and slurp (what they say is) the world’s best (and I presume has to be) most expensive coffee.
Excuse me while I trek out to get some coffee in cardboard.

No comments: