Friday, December 11, 2009

More From the Past

Last blog I talked some about memories that were triggered by things that I have around the house. Several of those things have to do with tools and the like, as Dad was a farmer and a heating and plumbing man. He had a lot of those kinds of things and I either bought or inherited several of them.
One thing I didn’t mention is something I don’t have in Wichita, but would like to bring here some day. It’s a 1951 (although the sales sheet says it’s a1952) Minneapolis Moline model U tractor. Right now it’s at my cousin’s place in the country about 40 miles from here. One of these days, I’d like to have a wrecker truck bring it up here and I’d try to do some restoration on it.
The mechanics are relatively simple and parts are fairly easy to obtain. I don’t think it would take a lot of restoration other than reversing the effects of sitting outside for the past 10 years or so. Engine work would be first, and the transmission would possibly have to be drained and refilled with 90 weight oil. There would be axle seals that are leaking, brakes that need to be rebuilt, and other such, but overall it would be, I think, a good thing to do.
I couldn’t very well take it out on Kellogg or Pawnee, but it would be good to hear it run again. It has a rather unique sound and I could even now probably recognize it immediately, even though I haven’t heard it in ten years. Those kinds of memories just don’t go away.
What would I do with it? I don’t have a clue. What would my kids or my family do with it when I am gone? I don’t have a clue on that one, either. It wouldn’t matter much to me. I’m sure that one of these days, either sooner or later, it will meet the fate of many such tractors and end up in a salvage yard or in some museum. It’s work days are over.
I can’t begin to put on paper the memories this blog has dredged up. As someone who spent time on not only that tractor, but also on a similar make, but larger model, those memories loom large. I have to wonder, though, as I recall several things right now, how we ever made it as well as we did back then. We really did do things on baling wire and prayer (so to speak) and also did things that nowadays would be considered grossly unsafe. Yet here I am, alive and in one piece. Amazing.
One of these days, I may tell of one specific memory that I have of this tractor, a 1961 Ford pickup, an 18 foot low-boy. homemade two wheel trailer, and a springtooth. Speaking of Ford pickups, I remember we had a 1951 red Ford pickup that had a (then) optional heater over in the passenger compartment. On a mildly cool day, the heater barely would keep the cab semi-warm. On cold days, it kept the icicles from forming on your nose, but that was about it.
The heater had doors on it that you would close to make the air go up to the defroster, but which never worked very well in really cold weather. Of course the wipers, being vacuum operated, didn’t work well either. It was a real adventure to see anything outside in winter weather…more than once was the window down and Dad would look out it to see where we were and where we were going. Aahh, those were the good old days!!

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Sometime you need to take the time to write out your life story. Motivation for this could be for your own benefit, but better still for your descendants. It is my belief that everyone needs to do this at some point in their lives. It helps keep generations in touch with each other in a meaningful way. Check mine out sometime when you come up.

WDK