Saturday, February 06, 2010

The Future Visited

Is it a sign that one is getting older when his vision of the future doesn’t include anything beyond a certain number of years? Or is that just normal?
When I was much younger, my vision of the future was virtually unlimited in terms of length. I could think 20, 30, even 50 or 60 years into the future and find that I was a part of it. Now, whenever I think much beyond 20 or so years, I also think that I probably won’t be around to see it anyway, so why worry about it.
I have to wonder just how common of a thing that is. I know there may be some folks that don’t think that far ahead at all. They have concerns in the here and now, and don’t look much beyond the week or month ahead. There are others who enjoy thinking about life in the twenty-second or twenty-third centuries, and some (Gene Roddenberry, George Lucas, and others) who have made tons of money from those thoughts.
I would think, though, that as life begins to wind down, a part of that process is a change in how one thinks about things to come, as well as the things that were and are. I’m already well past the point that I think I have to scratch my way to the top of the work pinnacle, or that I have to prove my competence to someone else. Yes, I still do good work and I still give 100% when at work, but the reason for doing so is different. I’m also looking more to the time when I won’t have to punch the time clock so religiously.
This thing called aging is yet another adventure that I am witnessing in myself and in others I know and love. It, like all other of life’s adventures, is a marvelous thing to behold and presents far more questions than answers. I may no longer be seeing myself 50 or 60 years from now in the future I concoct in my mind, but I’ll still have enough to think about as time marches on.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Its a sign you're growing older when you start thinking more about the past than the future. I find myself doing that a lot anymore, witness my latest blog post.

WDK