Saturday, February 20, 2010

You Get What You Get

It’s been another cloudy, dreary day here with freezing rain and sleet falling sporadically. It seems to be melting when it hits the ground, so things aren’t slick. The official temp is 34 degrees, but probably will fall tonight.
We were out doing some errands this morning and had to drive to several locations. Most of the time, the drivers were pretty good, but we ran into (figuratively, of course) one or two that I kind of had to scratch my head (figuratively, of course) and wonder what in the world they were trying to do. One woman, it seemed, was making a “U” turn on East Douglas in the middle of traffic, holding up the works in several directions. One person (gender is known, but will not be given for fear of my being accused of being biased) sped up and passed me in the rain on I 235 only to get behind a truck after passing, slowing down, and making me go around her so I didn’t have to slow down. I wasn’t sure what she was up to, nor was I sure I wanted to know.
And so it goes, to borrow a phrase from Linda Ellerbee. All in all, our foray into the retail and public areas of Wichita went well, including our visit to Sam’s Club to buy a few things and cash our rebate check.
So it’s been a slow day, which probably is a good thing for us. We’re watching the Olympics, the KU basketball game, doing laundry, and otherwise just vegging around. I went out to the garage awhile ago, but didn’t stay even though there were things I needed to do, because it was cold enough there that it wouldn’t have been a very pleasant time. One of these days, I have to get out there and do some of the accumulating chores.
We’ll host our small group tomorrow evening, and of course we meet for church in the morning. The wife is on administrative nursing call this weekend, but hasn’t had much in the way of issues just yet. Let’s hope that dearth of problems continues through the weekend.
That’s it. Not much from here. I don’t feel like stretching my brain today to ponder the meaning of life or the origin of the species. You get what you get.

No comments: