Saturday, February 05, 2011

Happy Birthday

I wrote a letter today. No, I didn’t do it long hand, although I thought about it. My hands are beginning to be affected by arthritis and I just can’t hold a pen like I used to be able to do. So I typed it. I wrote the letter to my uncle who will be 92 on Tuesday. He enjoys receiving letters and, at least until recently, wrote in long hand and mailed letters to friends and relatives.
He doesn’t do Facebook or Twitter, and isn’t even on the Internet, as far as I know. He lives in a retirement community in central Kansas and seems to enjoy being there. Age has crept up on him and he isn’t as spry as he once was. Recently moved into assisted living, he kept up an apartment there until just a year or two ago.
Just because Mervin isn’t on the Internet, though, doesn’t mean that he is somehow not relevant or “with it” (to borrow a 1960’s expression) any more. I suspect that he is very much in tune with the goings-on of the retirement community where he lives as well as the greater community (the town) and with the world. He is able to talk intelligently about a lot of things including current events and current happenings. He is a joy to visit with and always appreciates company.
I also suspect that Mervin is just biding his time here and is ready to go whenever he is called by his God. His wife (my aunt) preceded him, having been ravaged by dementia for the last years of her life. I rather imagine he’s ready to have a good conversation with her once again.
Mervin has, and continues to be a shining example of Christian faith, love, and compassion. He has influenced for the good more lives than he will ever know or realize on this side of eternity. A farmer by vocation, he also drove a school bus, taught Sunday School, raised a family, volunteered for countless good works, and did some taxidermy. In addition, he did all of the normal things that good citizens do…pay taxes, work hard, and give back to his family, his neighbors and his community.
He would be the first to tell you that he never did anything special; that he just did the best he could with what he knew. But his is a great example of God taking what Mervin offered and multiplying it in ways unimaginable, even now. His influence, wisdom, work, and example will live on far beyond his earthly years.
Happy birthday, Mervin.

3 comments:

Wayne said...

Nice blog, Jay. I would only add one thing about Mervin's character - humility. He's a very humble man, almost to a fault, but it is what has made him "great" in God's kingdom.

MamaRedd said...

Well said, Jay.

bluggier said...

You're right, of course, Wayne. Humility would be a big one to describe him. Sometimes it's hard to think of everything when writing. Thanks for the reminder.