Saturday, January 29, 2011

Here's to Diversity

"This is America, where a white Catholic male Republican judge was murdered on his way to greet a Democratic Jewish woman member of Congress, who was his friend. Her life was saved initially by a 20-year old Mexican-American gay college student, and eventually by a Korean-American combat surgeon, all eulogized by our African American President." ~Mark Shields, quoting Allen Ginsberg on PBS News Hour January 14, 2011
Lynn said that a blog might be coming on as a result of my having read this on her FB. It took a few days for me to process the above and its significance. I don’t pretend to write the definitive prose regarding the quote. I will, however, comment on it.
As I commented on FB, I think this is often the case in our everyday lives and we just don’t realize or appreciate it. Think of the people that serve you in some capacity. Those who work in a restaurant, the doctor’s office or dental clinic. Maybe you could think of those who provide you with food stocked on the shelves of your favorite grocery store as well as those who grow and process it.
What about those in the banking system or the mechanic shop where you get your car fixed? Or maybe in City Hall and those who provide decent water, sewer services, and of course police, fire, and EMS protection.
This nation is still built on the diversity of its population and the fact that, by and large, people work together for a common good and for the welfare of others. Whatever their religion, nationality, race, or political leaning, most people desire only to do their job and make the world a better place.
Look at it this way. Think of a world where you interacted with and were economically and environmentally connected only with people who were your own race, nationality, religion and color. What would you NOT have that you now have? Could you live even close to how you are living now were it not for people who are different from you who provide for you in some way? Could you adequately do your job without people who were different from you?
Pure Christianity is much the same way. People from all walks of life, from all nationalities, economic classes, races, and yes, even people with different religious viewpoints all band together under the banner of Jesus Christ as risen Lord and Savior and together make something that as a whole is much, much greater than the sum of its parts.
I am reminded of what John said in the Revelation: “After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could count, from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes…” (Rev. 7:9) You may disagree with me on the specific interpretation of this verse, but I think it’s clearly apparent that not everyone who is a child of God is a white, middle class male (or whatever you may be).
So here’s to diversity. May it ever be a part of who we are and how we think. May it always come through in times both good and bad. And may we ever celebrate the beauty and diversity of God’s creation and honor both it and Him.

1 comment:

Wild Flower said...

The quote you began you post with -my question is, why do I need to know that? Why do I need to know that a Mexican gay college student initially saved her life, or that the judge was Catholic, or that her surgeon was Korean? I have no problem with working with, going to church with, socializing with, or befriending a diverse population - I have done that for years. When I need an EMT, I don't care if he or she is gay, straight, black, green, or polkadot. I don't care who it is that sacks my groceries, or works on my car, or is a parent in my schools, or delivers my mail. I just want them to do their jobs. I want them to care about delivering services to the best of their ability and training and if they don't like what they're doing, to get out and find something else to do. I just want to have conversations with parents where we communicate about their child. I am worn to a frazzle talking about, and getting training in diversity, by diversity "coaches", who feel as if they must take my time telling me that we're all alike, but yet, we're all different. Why are we constantly pointing out differences? Why do I care about it? Fact is, I don't. The truth of the matter is, no one cares about my diverseness. No one cares what stock I came from, what color my skin is, or that I once was a Mennonite, or that I've never traveled outside the US, or that I drive a Toyota. Do I need to know that the policewoman who provides beat coverage for my neighborhood is a gay African American woman? I don't need to know that. I just need her to do her job. Can I be friends with those who are different from me? Absolutely. But friendship is most often bound by interests and commonalities more specific than what color I am or what sexual orientation I am. Whatever happened to just seeing people as creations of God, who are in need of a relationship with Him? Having said all this, I don't want to leave her without noting that the best thing I like in this world is getting to know and visiting with people who are interesting, have stories to tell, and who want to share a part of themselves with me. I am much richer for those experiences, but it is so MUCH more than the color of skin. I cannot tell you how much that I really don't care that Barack Obama is black. I just want him to do his job. I want him to lead this nation to the best of his ability. I want him to have a saving relationship with Jesus. I want him and his family to be safe, and I want him to make godly, wise decisions. I pray all of those things for him, just as I have for every president. So that's my two cents, and it's worth even less, but I thought your post was thought-provoking. Thanks for taking the time to write.