Thursday, January 13, 2011

Arizona Tragedy

I wasn’t able to hear the President’s address to the people last night in Arizona. I called it up on the Internet tonight and listened to the entire speech. This may have been his best speech. Twice, he invoked the Christian scriptures. Several times, he mentioned those who had died in the shooting tragedy. And he continually called for us to present the best that is within us, to love one-another, and to honor those with whom we differ.
He did all of this without getting caught in the notion that somehow those whose words recently have been filled with vitriol prompted this tragedy. He plainly took the high road and challenged each of us to do the same.
I had to wonder as I listened to that speech whether anything even close to the thoughts that were in that speech has come out of the mouths of those radio and cable hacks on either end of the political spectrum. You know…those who spew their garbage to the ones of our number who don’t wish to exercise their brains by thinking for themselves. They’d much rather a talking head do their talking for them. My guess is that no one of the political/cable/radio hack club has said anything even remotely close to the thoughts and words of our President.
I am truly troubled by the events in Arizona. I am truly troubled by the evil that is in the world. And I am truly troubled by those who would, for their own gain, capitalize on such an event. I guess it takes all kinds, but this is not only ridiculous, but is behavior of the basest sort.
Even the Topeka church clan stayed away (You know who I’m talking about). I applaud them for their restraint, although I suspect that there wasn’t much about their decision not to picket that was altruistic or compassionate. My guess is that they (correctly) figured that if they went and protested, they would have been universally assigned, even by those few who agree with them, to the trash heap of irrelevance, insignificance, and worthlessness. They would finally, fully, and certainly have been exposed for the kind of people they really are…uncouth, vulgar, and gauche. They don’t have the stomach to stand up to that kind of universal judgment and condemnation from their peers.
I wish well those who are recovering. I pray healing for those who have lost loved ones. And I trust we will have learned something positive from the evil that manifested on that day.

No comments: