Friday, January 21, 2011

Riverside

I got off work early today (very early) before lunch, so I went over to the Minisa Barbershop and got a haircut (actually, hairs-cut). It was close to lunch by then so I walked around the corner to the Riverside Café.
They weren’t all that busy, but busy enough. No one was at the counter, so I sat at the second chair from the left (There is a “protocol” for where to sit at a lunch counter, just as there is a “protocol” for which urinal to use when in a multi-urinal bathroom). The waitress was prompt, giving me water and asking for my drink order. By the time she had my diet Coke, I knew I wanted the catfish filet lunch.
Now, I’ve blogged before about the Riverside Café. Today, I noticed especially the way the wait people worked. They moved quickly, yet there was virtually no wasted motion or step. Each movement seemed to be an exercise in multi-tasking, planned out long in advance.
Of course, it wasn’t planned out. The wait staff just had worked there long enough to know how to work efficiently. They also were able to work around each other, not running in to someone else. There was only one slip up…a loud noise in the kitchen and shards of glass sliding out of the doorway told me that someone had dropped something back there. Luckily, I already had my lunch in front of me.
I have to wonder what that place sounds like in the middle of the night. By day it’s very noisy, almost raucous. The old-time juke box is constantly blaring with 50’s and 60’s music. The wait people are talking to each other and greeting customers. Customers are carrying on conversations with one-another, and occasionally from table to table. Dishes are clanging. Doors are closing. The cash register is ringing up something. The din is sometimes in the upper end of the decibel scale, it seems. So at night, it would be eerily silent, except for the refrigeration units and occasionally the furnace, I would think. Hopefully, there aren’t many mice in there that would make noise.
I don’t get over there often. I’m glad I stopped in today.

No comments: