Saturday, January 01, 2011

A Challlenge

I’m sure I’m not the first one who has thought of this, but it came as a kind of an epiphany to me this week as I did some meditation and study during my time at home on a staycation. I blogged about it earlier this week. The thought was that perhaps someone, sometime in the distant past has prayed for me in some way and God is now fulfilling that prayer request in my life. The person who prayed may well never have known me or about me, but prayed anyway. The thought that what God is doing with me now may well be a promise God made in answer to prayer that may have occurred 100, 200, or 500 years ago is mind-boggling.
I then asked in that same blog if you have prayed for those who come after you, whether your blood descendents, fellow Christians, or leaders of some kind. That seems to me to be even more mind-boggling as I think of those possibilities and what it may mean for not only me, but for those for whom I am praying.
We seem so focused on the here and now. We seem to be so tuned in to our own lives and our immediate issues and problems. We think little about others even in our time frame, let alone those who will come after us 50, 100,or 500 years from now. It makes me think differently about prayer and how it “availeth much” as the King James Version of the Bible says in the New Testament book of James.
Some how, some way, I have to get out of the present time and the momentary problems I have now and focus more on others, their issues, and the greater vision of God’s plan for His creation and for its salvation. This kind of prayer may well be one of the keys to help me do that.
This also brings to mind my brother’s thoughts about praying for things that in our existence have already happened. It tends to lend a new credibility to his thought that maybe, just maybe it is acceptable to pray for something that has already happened, as if it hasn’t happened yet. He tempers this thought with the idea that in order for this to be effective, we must not know the conclusion of the event or incident…it is enough to know that something was to have happened or might have happened.
Of course, we quickly get into the notion of time and what it is; how it interacts with our existence and how God relates to time, if at all. We quickly develop many more questions than we have answers for, Einstein’s equations notwithstanding. And we can quickly get caught up in the nuances of such ideas to the exclusion of our mission as people of God…to live and love in such a way that others will know that we are children of God.
I challenge you, though, to give serious thought to who and what you pray for, and to use prayer not so much as a vehicle for your own comfort and satisfaction as a means to talk with the Timeless One about your thoughts, feelings, and concerns for others yet to come (or who have already gone, if you think there may be something to the notion of “praying in the past”). If nothing else, I think you will appreciate and enjoy your prayer life much more than you now do.

No comments: