Thursday, March 29, 2012

Good Reporting

Well, it’s the first real spring storm of the year to hit Wichita…you’d think from listening to the radio it was the end of the world. Yes, I know some people got hail, and some even got rather large hail. And there was rain and lighting. But it’s a spring thunderstorm, folks. There isn’t much danger of a tornado (although I also know that one can form any time out of a thunderstorm), and we have people driving around in this stuff talking on their cell phones to the radio station about how bad (or not) it is.
I don’t know what possesses people to go off the deep end when they see a few raindrops or some marble to golf-ball size hail. Now, if it would hail as it did a couple of years ago and the stones made dents in the ground I could put my size 12’s into completely, now THAT’S a storm. That one really made the news as it happened in October instead of the spring of the year. And there really was a LOT of damage.
I will give a pass to those folks who get nervous when the lightning and thunder come that have gone through the throes of a tornado first hand. There’s nothing quite like it, I’m told, and you’re forever changed after you’ve huddled with the dog and kids with a blanket or mattress over your head in the bathtub or a closet while your home and everything you own is blown to kingdom come. Kind of brings life and everything related to it into a more proper perspective.
In any event, I guess we’re in for another season of the weather guys and girls trying to out do one-another for ratings and advertising. I know the weather centers in these television markets are high-tech and high-expense. Do you have any idea what it costs to have at least three meteorologists on staff full time and a suite in the studio packed full of computers, monitors, radar, and all the other? Three to five hundred thousand a year is probably somewhat in the ballpark. That’s a lot of car commercials. I know they have to get their money back somehow. And I do appreciate good reporting on these events.
But let’s hear GOOD reporting this year. I’m not holding my breath, though…

No comments: