Saturday, March 17, 2012

I Feel Much Better Now

So I’m driving down Kellogg Ave. in Wichita. It’s s six lane road all the way through town. I’m driving the speed limit, or close to it (really). I see someone toodling along behind me (is toodling a word?) not tailgating, seemingly content to follow along behind me at a comfortable distance. Because I’m only driving the speed limit, there is usually a rather considerable empty space in the lane ahead of me, as everyone else is rushing off to something important.
I change lanes getting ready to exit the road down the way a piece. Almost immediately, the driver behind me who was content to follow me at a comfortable distance going the speed limit accelerates by several miles an hour in an effort to close the gap between him and the driver now in front of him a quarter mile or more. This happens with such regularity I could bet on it and make money.
I don’t get it. Why is it a bad thing to have empty lane in front of you? What’s wrong with continuing to drive the speed limit?
Another thing I don’t get is when I’m in the middle lane and another driver comes up from behind. He signals (maybe) to change lanes to the left, passes me, then changes lanes again to the right all the way to the exit lane and exits the freeway. Couldn’t he have just gone to the right and gotten off at the ramp? Couldn’t he have just followed me for, oh, maybe an eighth of a mile, then get off at the ramp? No, he has to go around me, then drive in front of me as he exits, I suppose to show me that I’m not going fast enough.
No, I don’t drive “just the speed limit” all the time. If traffic is very heavy, I’ll go along with the flow. It can be dangerous to drive the speed limit if everyone else on the road is going ten miles over and the lanes are all full. I do try much of the time to give myself a decent following distance between me and the person ahead. That doesn’t always work, however, and my wife sometimes will hit the floor with her brake foot in a vain effort to slow down the car. (At least she doesn’t suck in her breath audibly any more.) Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.
I’m not the best driver in the world. I make mistakes. I mistakenly pulled into a lane from a parking lot this morning in front of another car that was closer to me that I like…no real danger and he saw me coming and slowed down. But it’s not what I like to do, and in addition, I didn’t know he was there until I got into the lane. That’s what I don’t like…I missed seeing him all together until it was too late.
So I’m not perfect, and know it. And I really do turn my head and look, twice if possible, and turn my head to check my blind spot when changing lanes. I also look both ways before driving across an intersection on a green light. Some things are just practical, no-nonsense things to do. And still I miss things. I need others to be defensive drivers sometimes. And I appreciate them doing that.
And I don’t mind being a defensive driver most of the time. But if a knothead is going to go around me at 20 over the limit, then a half mile later ask me to be a nice guy defensive driver for him, I’ll do it to avoid having to farkel an accident, but won’t like it.
By the way, farkel (or farkle, no one knows for sure how it’s spelled) is defined in the Urban Dictionary as follows:

The term is well known in the sport motorcycle touring community.
An enthusiast may be in the process of "farkling". The completed motorcycle would be all "farkled up". Radar detectors, Global Positioning System receivers, heated grips, and satellite radios are some of those farkles. Other accessories could be aftermarket seats, side and/or top cases or bar risers, which make the motorcycle more suitable for long miles.

F.A.R.K.L.E. -- Fancy Accessory Really Kool Likely Expensive

So I’ve said my piece in this blog, defined a term, and feel much better. There ya’ go (this term is the topic of yet another blog wherein a sales clerk, upon completing a sale, instead of saying “Thank you, come again,” will say “There ya’ go.” Sheesh!)

No comments: