Thursday, April 05, 2012

The Discombobulation Fairy

Some nights, it just doesn’t pay to get into bed. You may well know those days…nights when you can’t get to sleep right away. Nights when you sleep for maybe a couple of hours and spend the rest of the night turning from one side to another. Nights when everything seems to hurt no matter how you lay. Nights when the pillow feels like Jacob’s rock.
So you get up at the really ungodly hour of 5am (ungodly at least for you), after running through your mind all the people who are up at that hour every day of the year to either go to work or start the day of their families.
Your eyes notice the lack of sleep, but don’t seem to want to close in any meaningful way. You wonder what the rest of the day will be like or even if you’ll make it the rest of the day without having to crash on the couch or in the recliner.
And to occupy your time in the early morning, since you don’t have a job to go to at 6am or a family to get up and around, you turn on the TV to the local news, look for the newspaper outside, and turn on the computer to send an email or two and blog about how you can’t sleep.
OK, by now I’m sure you know that this is what happened to me this morning. Normally I don’t blog at 6am. Normally I don’t even know when 6am passes by. But today is different. I just couldn’t get comfortable and couldn’t make my eyes close for any meaningful period of time.
As for crashing later today, we’ll see. I’ve done this before a few times and usually can make it through the day without a lot of hassle. Most of the time I’m struck with insomnia, however, it’s been in the middle of the night and I eventually can catch an hour or two toward the end of the night.
I’m not sure why our routines are upset sometimes by things such as this. I have to wonder if the “in my rut” fairy sometimes goes on vacation and the “discombobulation” fairy takes over for awhile. I dunno. But what I do know is that I’m up and at ‘em today a little sooner than normal. We’ll see how this goes.

No comments: