Tuesday, April 24, 2012

That Wonderful Thing Called Technology

My cousin and her hubby are spending some well-earned time down in Mexico in a little place called Yelapa, Jalisco. It’s on the west coast in a small bay that is part of a much larger bay, the Banderas Bay. On Google Maps, it looks like a relatively out-of-the-way location that might be perfect to get away for awhile. Although such trips aren’t for me (I’m good with a few days in Branson), I’m glad she’s able to make this trip and do the things they are doing there.
And that brings me to the real gist of this blog. I saw her posting on Facebook today of several photos she took of the area…of them, the sunset, etc. Looks like a great place to spend some time. But the really cool thing was that I posted a short reply to her, and in just a few minutes, she re-posted a reply to me. Now, you might not think much of this, but for me, this is a magical and wonderful thing. I know I’ve posted about the wonders of technology before, but this came to the forefront again today as I posted in my prior blog about raising chickens, hunting game for food, etc. I can scarcely imagine, even today, communicating instantly with someone laying on a beach hundreds of miles away in a foreign land. And to add to that, I’m communicating with someone by use of what we used to call a telephone that now goes by Android, I-Phone, or whatever other names have been attached to the lowly telephone over the past few months or years.
Carrying a dial tone around on one’s hip is so…1990’s anymore. Now we carry instant Internet, our calendars, photos, access to financial accounts, maps, and hundreds upon hundreds of other forms of communication or information in a device that measures about 2 ½ by 4 ½ by ½ inch. And this device works virtually anywhere in the world and connects us with virtually anyone else in the world who has a similar device (or a laptop, or heavens…a PC).
I’ve said it before. Back in the day, carrying a dial tone on one’s hip would have been the pinnacle of desire, and would have been equally impossible. Instead, we made do with public telephones, citizens band or business band radios, or first class mail. Now, many of us seldom use that dial tone. Instead, we message, tweet, or otherwise communicate in ways not even thought of just a few years ago. So it is. The world has shrunk exponentially in the last few years. And it’s a privilege for me to be witness to it. Although I’m a little concerned about what may be coming, it truly is an exciting time to be alive. Thanks be to God for His wonderful blessings!

No comments: