Monday, April 09, 2012

Short Supply

I have been reading recently about the lack of the ability of ordinary Americans to petition government for redress due to “security” concerns. The writers or speakers usually rue the death of the protest and petition and long for the days of old when people could more easily command a street for a march, a park for a rally, or the steps of a government building for a speech. By extension, these people also long for the 24 hour news spotlight that comes with this kind of protest.
I agree that the petitioning process has changed over the years. I also agree that security concerns are greater, and that necessarily means that those being “secured” are more insulated from ordinary society. However, I do not believe that these people cannot be reached with the messages of ordinary Americans. We may have to change our methods, but I think we can still have an impact.
I have spoken, in my career, face to face with Sen. Bob Dole when he was majority leader of the Senate, Sen. Jerry Moran when he represented the 1st District of Kansas (I had almost two hours with Jerry), and Senator Pat Roberts of Kansas. I have also had lunch with Dan Glickman when he represented the 4th district of Kansas (I and three others…it was a small group; we met in a local restaurant), have email contact with (complete with personal replies) and met for an hour one-on-one with my state Senator Dick Kelsey of Goddard, and have visited on a first-name basis with the late state Senator Stan Clark of Oakley and then state Rep. Ralph Ostmeyer from that area.
I had opportunity to visit extensively with and personally know a former state representative from the Oakley area (Virginia Beamer), and have email contact with state Sen. Vicki Schmidt, the current assistant Majority Leader, of Topeka. Years ago, I knew, visited with, and encouraged both Rep. John Long and Rep. Dick Alldritt from Harper County. Additionally, I have visited more than once the offices of Sen. Roberts, Sen. Moran, and Rep. Pompeo here in Wichita and have received a good reception and extensive time with those who have the ear of those politicians.
On a more local level, I’ve known several county commissioners, mayors, councilpersons, school board members, hospital trustees, etc. And I’ve served on a city council (Harper). I know what that is like.
I believe for the most part these people really listened and had interest in my opinions. Many times they have asked questions which were meant to elicit more specific responses, but those questions also indicated to me that they were engaged and interested. In most of these circumstances, I went to these meetings, not with innuendo, sound bytes, and unproven allegations, but with information, questions, and suggestions. My questions and suggestions were specific, and I also came armed with knowledge of any pending legislation that I could find that may have to do with the issue we were discussing. In short, I came prepared.
I get frustrated like everyone else. I sometimes think people don’t hear and don’t want to hear. But I know politics is a tough job. I know that just because someone doesn’t agree with me does NOT mean that they aren’t listening. And that’s all I can ask…that they listen to my viewpoint. I can’t ask or expect that they agree with me, because if everyone did that, it would be a total impossibility. And I must be aware that my opinion is only that…my opinion. Good and honest people that these folks represent have differing opinions that run the spectrum, and I must respect that.
It’s relatively easy to yell on a street corner. It’s not very difficult to picket. It’s easy to disrupt a meeting and cause a ruckus where a politician is speaking. It’s not hard to get press coverage. However, taking the time to cultivate a relationship, look at both sides of an issue, prepare a specific opinion/question/thought, and rationally and with respect explain one’s view takes time, work, intelligence, good will,and energy. Unfortunately, at least some of those things seem to be in short supply nowadays.

No comments: