Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Do Something

I got tired of not feeling like my voice was being heard when I contacted my congressional representatives (Senators Roberts and Moran, and Rep. Pompeo) with some comment on an issue. I wondered what I could possibly do to at least feel like someone was listening. It seemed that when I sent an email I would get a letter or email back that was canned and not really on topic.
I looked up the local offices of each of the representatives, (they all have offices in Wichita) and decided to make a personal visit to each of them. I had called an office once in a while in the past and knew that there were people there whose job it was to visit with constituents and answer questions and pass along concerns.
My first stop was Senator Roberts’ office downtown. I told the woman at the first desk that I had a question or two and would like to visit with someone. She was that someone. I found her to be engaging, knowledgeable, and interested in what I had to say. She said that they talk with the Washington office a couple times a week and she would summarize our conversation and send it on.
Next, I found Senator Moran’s office on the far east side. It wasn’t nearly as easy to find, and when I asked the young man if I could visit, he was somewhat tentative as if he thought I would yell at him (can’t understand why he would have thought that). We too had an engaging and beneficial conversation regarding the issues I brought up and digressed more than once to other issues.
Today I went to Rep. Pompeo’s office. The young man there was not nearly as knowledgeable regarding the opinions and positions of his employer, but readily visited and hopefully took some notes. He said he appreciated my stopping in and would pass along my comments.
I asked the same questions of all representatives. Responses varied, but I came away from each encounter with the belief (albeit perhaps false belief) that I had at least been heard and that I engaged with someone who had the ear of the representative.
It took some time and energy for me to find the offices, and a little nerve to walk in and ask for an immediate audience. I was well-received, however, and was able to immediately visit with someone. I think it pays to have some factual information (info from Fox News doesn’t count, folks) in mind and a pleasant attitude. It also helps to be able to converse with someone you don’t know well, and listen engagingly to responses. Those I visited with were refreshingly candid and did not often spout the party line or the same tired catch phrases one hears on news sound bites.
I know some are not close to a congressman’s office. I know it would be quite a trip to go to the nearest one. But some day when you are close, stop in and pleasantly engage the person there. You might come away surprised and a little better informed, besides feeling like someone really does listen.

2 comments:

MamaRedd said...

Glad to hear you did this. You were a "squeaky wheel" today. Good for you!

I hope you as readily dismiss CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN and other "mainstream media" as "not counting" news sources as fast as you do Fox.

bluggier said...

I try to get news from many sources, including magazines and newspaper, radio, as well as television. I watch Fox news...but not exclusively. I also watch MSNBC, C SPAN, NBC network news, and CBS news. I don't see all every day, but try to vary. I listen to CBS radio news as well as NPR. And I read the Beagle and peruse such newspapers on line as I can and am able. Right now I don't subscribe to any magazines due to budgetary limitations.

I also peruse the websites of the representatives and senators who represent me and a couple of news blogs that come at the news from different angles.

It's hard to find unbiased news (always has been), but I'm thinking that by getting a mixture, I may be able to distill a better view of the news than just having one outlet. There is no perfect news outlet. There are two legitimate sides to EVERY story. And I admit I like some better than others because they fit my world view better. But I try to listen to (or read) a varied list.