Friday, November 08, 2013

This Week



Well, I’m sitting here needing to write in my “secular” blog, but not sure where to start.  The most recent news is that my elderly uncle who is in a nursing home and has dementia now has fallen and broken a hip.  He’s in surgery today and whatever happens, the outcome will not be good.  I’ve seen too many of these cases in the past to think otherwise.  We’re trying to get more information from my cousin (his daughter), but don’t have much more than that right now.
My wife and I have just recently pretty much recovered from three or four weeks of hacking, coughing, and blowing.  Although not anything life-threatening (at least for now), it has been an unpleasant time for us and we are glad it’s coming to an end.  Hopefully, this won’t be a harbinger of things to come this winter.
We had a great time in Branson last weekend.  The fall colors were vibrant and we enjoyed the company of friends and the show we saw.  And we enjoyed time wandering in downtown Branson and being able to buy some things at some of the shops.  We are blessed.
Plans are being made for the annual Plank Thanksgiving celebration.  This year it will have to be on the Sunday following the holiday, due to work and other plans.  This is always a great time, and we are looking forward to hosting it this year.
There are many, many people who I know are hurting, hungry, and cold right now.  My being in a heated office and comfortable house doesn’t make it any easier for them, and puts me at some considerable unease at times.  There is so much misery, and seemingly so little help available.
On the other hand, God’s creation, although flawed by the handiwork of mankind, is still a wondrous place that fills me with joy.  I marvel at the orb spiders who spin webs, the birds who migrate thousands of miles, and the universe I see through telescopes.  It’s an incredible place, this creation.  And I’m glad I’m part of it.
Just finished a book called “Scarred Faith” by Josh Ross.  I think this is the only book (other than the Bible) that I will read more than one time.  Although I’ve just finished it, it’s still on my desk and I’ll begin again next week.  The book speaks to me in huge volume.
Grandkids, nieces and nephews, and grand nieces and nephews are growing like weeds on both sides of the marriage.  It’s getting more difficult to keep up with the extended family.  One of these days, I will slip behind and never catch up again.  But that’s OK.  Hopefully, they’ll continue to catch Grandpa or Uncle Jay up on what’s going on and keep me in the loop.  Precious, precious family.
I have the privilege of officiating at the wedding of one of the grand nieces the end of this month.  I don’t do many weddings, and haven’t done one in awhile.  Thank you, Stephanie, for allowing me the honor of doing that.
That’s about it for this week.  God is good…all the time.

No comments: