Thursday, August 07, 2014

All Of Our Learning...



As I was reading my daily Bible reading today (no, I don’t always do it daily), I noticed something that sort of stood out.  I was reading in Mark where Jesus was in a crowd, and was “casting out demons,” as Mark says.  The narrative also says that the demons at once would recognize Jesus, and often would say something to the effect of, “You are the Son of God!” before being cast out.
Whatever you think of demon possession is not at issue at this point.  These people had some kind of obvious medical/psychiatric/demonic issue that precipitated behavior such that the people of the day believed they were demon-possessed.  Personally, I believe they WERE demon-possessed, and have already written in a prior blog why I think so (although I can’t find that blog…I may have to re-write it).
In any event, it seems telling to me that the demons that were inhabiting these people immediately knew who Jesus was; the Pharisees and learned Jewish scholars of the day seemed to have a blind eye toward him.  As it was then, so it is still today.  Much of humanity seems to have a blind spot when it comes to recognizing Jesus as the Son of God.
How is it that the arch-enemy of the Ultimate Good immediately recognized him when it sees him, but we humans seem to forever be arguing, fussing, back-stepping, and falling all over ourselves to find a reason to dispel the truth of Jesus’ identity?  Do we think the demons, whatever they were, were in error?  Do we not believe what is written by more than one person, confirmed by the best possible evidence as authentic, and preserved for two thousand years?  What’s the deal here?
I would hope that all of our learning and education is not blinding us to the reality that is God Incarnate.  I would hope that we could look past our faulty logic and reasoning to the Truth that is Jesus.  I would hope that we would find the ultimate Life in the person of Jesus Christ.  And I would hope that we would understand that the Way is the One and Only Messiah of God.

No comments: