Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Monday Morning

 

Monday morning as I was driving into work, I had the radio in my pickup on the NPR station as it usually is in the mornings.  Of course, the situation in Afghanistan was on, and there was much consternation, much talk of what will happen now with the Taliban in control, and much ado about the international response, the swiftness of the takeover, and all of the other that goes along with this tragic situation.

I had been following the news most of late Sunday afternoon and evening, so I already knew much of what they were discussing Monday morning.  The news was not good, and I was already in a sort of depressed state from the news on Sunday…so hearing a repeat of it all on the radio just reinforced my depressive mood Monday morning.

Before I go on, you need to know that what I am about to say in no way is intended to diminish or dismiss the tragic and horrific events of these years of war, nor any of the disastrous, dreadful, and heart-rending events to come.  People have died horrible deaths, and people will continue to tragically lose their lives.  Families, towns, and indeed whole societies will be uprooted.  Women and girls will be especially vulnerable, and the nation and the society will be chaotic at best for some time to come.

Those who serve in various national militaries have given their lives, health, and well-being for what appears to be an abject failure diplomatically, militarily, and societally.  The lives and families of these men and women who have served and are serving are forever changed.  People have loved ones and family who are trapped in the country with no way out.  I’m sure basic necessities either are or soon will be in short supply or non-existent.

Most of us have no comprehension of the terror, stress, and fear that many people in that nation are experiencing right now.  Too many of us offer our opinions on what we believe should have been done or should be doing now…those opinions are made in ignorance without much factual basis and have little to no value.  We are not privy to the intelligence briefings, the diplomatic efforts, the clandestine meetings between opposing factions, the surveillance data, the discussions in the Oval Office, and all of the other.  We don’t relate.  We don’t experience.  We don’t know.

Well, I say all of that to say, as I get back to my point, that I grew very weary that morning of hearing the news about Afghanistan and decided I needed an attitude adjustment before I got into the office.  I knew I’d be pretty much worthless if I didn’t do something.  So I punched the CD button on my radio and the CD that was already loaded started playing.  Carrie Underwood’s hymns CD was playing, and I heard words that gave me some perspective as I drove to the office.

“Blessed assurance; Jesus is mine.  Heir of salvation, purchase of God.  Great is Thy faithfulness.  Great is Thy faithfulness.  Morning by morning new mercies I see.  Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.  Because He lives, all fear is gone.  Because I know He holds the future.  Come home.  Come home.  Ye who are weary, come home.”

These words changed my reality from one of the here and now to one that encompasses the eons from beginning to end.  God is bigger than Afghanistan.  God is bigger than the Taliban.  God is bigger than the awful events that war inevitably brings.  There so much more to life and living than opining in ignorance on what should have been done in Afghanistan.  For the Christian, there is still hope.  There is still God who loves.  There is still contentment in whatever situation one may find himself.  There is still a peace that passes all understanding.  And for the Christian, life is worth the living just because He lives.

 

May God bless you today and give you peace.

No comments: