Thursday, January 06, 2022

It's the Little Things

 

Good morning.

 Yesterday as I was coming in to work, I received a phone call from my wife, who was already at work.  She asked me if I was still at home.  I said I wasn’t and asked what she needed.  She said she left her phone somewhere and wasn’t sure where it was.  It could have been, she said, at home or possibly have fallen out of her coat pocket and was in her car at work.  She said she had wanted me to check at home, but was busy that morning and didn’t really have time to go out to the car to look for it.

I was on Kellogg not far from the house, so turned around at an interchange and went back to look for it.  Once I got home, I did a quick search, but found nothing.  Dialing her number, I listened for her ring.  It was not there.  Now, I know I have the “find phone” feature on her phone, but didn’t think to access it until later.  So much for modern technology…it can’t help you if you don’t think to use it.

Knowing that she was going to have a busy day, I went on over to WSU Tech Old Town and went in to the office.  They know me by sight there as I stop in from time to time.  I told the receptionist why I was there and asked her if she could get the key fob so I could look for the phone in the car.  She went back to Pat’s office, but came back saying she was in a meeting.  The receptionist Then sent a message to her and received an OK to interrupt the meeting.

Going back to her office a second time, she came back with the fob.  I went out to the car and quickly found the phone on the seat.  I went back in and gave both the fob and the phone to the receptionist, who later returned it to Pat.

OK.  I tell you this story, not to give myself a pat on the back for going “above and beyond,” so to speak, for my wife.  These are the kinds of things we do for each other without really thinking about it that much, so it wasn’t anything special for me.

However, I had to wonder about the young receptionist, the security officer also in the reception area, and the person who was meeting with my wife.  They all knew the story and knew what I had done.  I wonder if they took note of the relationship the two of us have with each other, and how that relationship worked in a very practical way to the benefit of one.  Later that evening, I found out what the two young women…the receptionist and the security officer…thought.  Evidently, I made quite a stir with them because of what I did for Pat, because they spoke to her in glowing terms about her husband.  OK, I’ll tell you now that if you know me, you know that I don’t really “glow” very much…I’m pretty much just a routine sort of guy.  However, there is a lesson here.

All too often, as Christians we think that going about our everyday lives and routines is about as far as it gets from evangelism and planting the seeds of the good news message of Jesus.  And I don’t know how my service to my wife this particular time will make any difference or not in the lives of anyone else.  But I have to believe that somewhere along the line of life and living, these kinds of acts of service are at times noticed by those who have a tender heart for the seeds of love and kindness to drop on to.  I have to believe that God can take something even as mundane as finding a phone and make it into something useful and wonderful for His Kingdom.

It’s the little things, people.  It’s the ordinary, routine, mundane things of living that often bring about the greatest of change for the good in ourselves and others.  Don’t go through life in a fog, thinking only of yourself.  Think of the little ways you can demonstrate God’s love.  Let the car trying to merge into your lane go in front of you.  Help someone who can’t reach the top shelf at the grocery store get the item they want.  And while we’re on grocery stores, look around when you park to see if you can take someone’s cart back to the store for them.  You’ll help them as well as the employee who has to go out and bring them all back in.  Say “Please,” and “Thank you,” often.  Open a door for someone…anyone.  Volunteer at your favorite non-profit.  And if you can’t volunteer, be a cheer leader for them and the work they do.  Don’t push others out of the way by being in such a rush when going through your day.  Apologize when you are wrong or use a poor choice of words.  Find a way to make the day of a loved one a little easier.  And listen.  Listen to others more than you talk.  Above all, be kind toward others; tenderhearted, forgiving others.

These are all things that can make a huge difference in the lives of others.  And these are all things that can scatter that seed of the Kingdom of God in the world.  Try it…I think you’ll like it.

 

Blessings

No comments: