Thursday, May 19, 2022

National EMS Week

 This week is National EMS Week.  In 1974, President Gerald Ford authorized EMS Week to celebrate EMS practitioners of all kinds.  It is designed to honor those who dedicate themselves to providing pre-hospital medical care.  The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) in partnership with the National Associations of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT) sponsors National EMS Week.

 “OK,” you say.  So what?  Just this.  There are lots of National Whatever Days and Weeks.  Many of them are rather quirky, such as National Cherry Cobbler Day, or National Notebook Day.  Some, however, promote legitimate and deserving issues and events…not that cherry cobbler doesn’t deserve at least some kind of recognition…  This is one of those.

 Having been an EMS provider in a past life, I know that I didn’t do it for the money, the recognition, or the fame.  I did it because there was a need and I thought I could help fill that need.  Little did I know when I first became certified in 1990 that I would obtain through EMS service the wealth of experience and memories that are now mine.  Nor could I have guessed that I, along with my co-workers, would be making a huge difference in the lives of many.  There were days when I was on top of the world after serving in some way, and days that I would have just wanted to chuck it all into the dumpster because of a bad medical outcome, a horrendous wreck that we worked, or someone dying in spite of all we could do.

 I served in my home town…the place where I was born and grew up.  I knew most of those who needed us.  I knew most of their families.  They were friends and sometimes even relatives.  It was a privilege to serve them in their time of need, but it was also very difficult at times to serve them knowing that their lives would never again be as they were because of a stroke, heart attack, or traumatic injury.  More than once I recall taking a stroke or fall victim out of their house to the ambulance waiting in the street, with that victim’s spouse following along behind us with a small bag in hand filled with a change of clothes, medications, and perhaps other items they thought they might need during the emergency room exam and hospitalization.  I knew that the one we were transporting would never be able to live at home again…never be able to walk again…never be able to have it be as it always had been.  Yet the loving spouse following along behind with a small bag of clothing wasn’t aware of that…hoping and thinking about a short hospital stay, then back home to things as they always were.

 I also think of the ones…and one in particular…we picked up in his apartment who had a ruptured aneurism.  The signs of aneurism were clear, and the emergency room diagnosis confirmed it.  He was bleeding to death, and there was nothing we could do.  We couldn’t get him somewhere where that kind of surgical procedure was performed soon enough.  That medical service would have been an hour away by ambulance.  He passed peacefully in a hospital room about 20 minutes after the diagnosis.  His daughter was able to see him a few minutes before his passing.

 I had the privilege of being present during that holy time when many took their last breath.  I performed CPR more times than I can count, both on the ambulance as well as at the hospital where I had a day job.  I’ve witnessed new life making its appearance in the world.  I’ve comforted a wife, mother, or son as their loved one was taken away in the ambulance.  I’ve been present when a loved one wanted to view the body of a deceased spouse or family member.  I’ve responded to emergency situations such as multiple automobile accidents, structure fires, and “code blue” situations.  I’ve helped medically in the emergency room, X Ray, physical therapy, in patient rooms and elsewhere.  The range of experience I’ve had has been incredible as well as incredibly satisfying and emotionally heart-wrenching.

 I don’t want to go through any of that again…I’m done.  And I’m at peace with that.  However, I wouldn’t take a million dollars in place of the experiences and memories that time in my life provided.  The sound of sirens and the flashing red and white lights still stir up a little adrenalin from time to time.  They also stir up memories of not so long ago when my younger body could jump out of bed at 2am, slip on clothes, run outside to my vehicle and drive to the ambulance garage in less than 5 minutes.  Those days are long gone.

 Yes, it’s National EMS Week.  Take a moment this week to honor those who serve and have served.  And pray for their safety and their mental as well as physical health and wellness.

 Blessings.

No comments: