Thursday, July 28, 2022

Think on These Things

 Most evenings at our house are occupied by relaxing in our lower level area, sometimes with the TV on, sometimes not.  We read, watch TV, do puzzles of various kinds, finish up some indoor job that we didn’t get done earlier (laundry, dishes, etc), and generally wind down, so to speak, at the end of the day.

The 10pm news is usually the last thing on the TV, unless a football or basketball game that we want to see is still going…then it is turned off.  The wife continues her reading, sewing, or puzzle-solving for awhile, and I many times will go to YouTube for a short time before retiring for the night.

“YouTube?” you say.  “What would you be watching on YouTube at 10:30 at night?”

As is with much of what one finds on the internet, there is much that is good and much that is not so good on YouTube.  I’ve chosen to absorb a sort of eccentric collection of video topics ranging from classical music to high school choirs & orchestras to courtroom videos (the Caught in Providence videos with Judge Caprio) as well as secret Santa and surprise squad videos (Google “surprise squad” if you aren’t sure what that is).

In between are Gaither homecoming videos, the occasional “On the Road with Steve Hartman” segments produced by CBS News, Bible Project videos, Sandy Patti, Statler Brothers, and other southern gospel videos, the occasional aria from Handel’s Messiah, and…well…the list could go on, but you get the idea.

I’ve chosen to watch videos at that time of day which will uplift and soothe my soul.  Music that takes me to a better spiritual place.  Events and activities which encourage and show the good sides of humanity.  Stories which demonstrate the best in the human spirit and provide a foundation for life and living.  Stories which let me know that all is not the doom and gloom as portrayed on the news; that there are things more important than politics and ideology.  Yes, I watch the news at 10 pm because I think it’s important to be aware of what’s going on in the community, the nation, and the world.  But I don’t need to retire for the night with the negative bent of the news on my mind.

Then, after viewing some videos, as I go upstairs I usually go outside into the front yard.  Even when it’s really cold outside in the winter, I like to step outside for just a moment, take in the atmosphere, look up at the sky, and survey the neighborhood.  The stars above let me know that there’s much, much more to life than just the day to day routine.  The neighborhood reminds me of the incredible blessings that have come our way over the years.  The air…crunchy cold, warm & sticky, or with the scent of spring or fall in it, remind me of the brief span of life and the promise of something better when this life is over.

Sometimes, if the weather is especially disagreeable, I think of those we often meet downtown at the church building who are staying outside in the weather because they have no home.  Many of them have a mental illness or some kind of disability which prevents them from doing what is necessary to live inside.  I wonder how they are getting along and whether or not they have found some temporary shelter from the rain, snow, or wind.

Following all of this, the wife is usually finished with her nightly routine, and it’s relatively easy for me to do my bedtime business, put on my CPAP, and drift off for the night.  I don’t know why I got into the routine of going outside, but it works for me.  I even try to do the “going outdoors” thing if I’m not at home, if at all possible.  I can’t always access YouTube, but I can usually get outside wherever I may be.

I don’t know what your routine is at night.  However, I am reminded of what that great apostle Paul said long ago about what should be on one’s mind.  Here’s what he said in his letter to the Philippian church long ago.  “whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”

You will hear all kinds of things, both uplifting and depressing.  But choose to dwell…to dwell…on the true, the noble, the pure, the admirable, the excellent.  I think you’ll find that your overall attitude will be better, your overall health will be better, and you will be more content.

 

Blessings,

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: