Wednesday, December 28, 2022

What Moves You?

 I do, I suppose, a decent amount of looking at videos on YouTube.  My viewing ranges from train videos to classical performances by various groups, and everything in between.  I enjoy seeing people receiving life-changing gifts by television “surprise squads” as well as what one might classify as “good news” stories that seldom make the national news, but someone has put on YouTube.  It just depends on my mood at the time and what pops up as suggestions for me to watch, based on my preferences over time.

 I don’t like to take in anything on television or on my computer or phone that might pass for what some would call “real life.”  I don’t care for police TV shows, many of the dramatic shows and movies, or other entertainment that presents what some might like to dish out as real life scenarios.  That may be one reason why I generally won’t go to a theater to see a movie, and many times won’t watch one on the television unless it is an older one on TCM.

 I care nothing for what is advertised on streaming video channels, and seldom watch any television that isn’t a sporting event, an old time TV show such as the Carol Burnett show or reruns of The Honeymooners, or a news or current event report.  Nothing else draws my interest.

 Of course, the advertisers and networks don’t care about me and my preferences.  After all, I’m an old geezer over 65 and not interested in many of the products and services hawked in advertisements anyway.  I don’t care if I have gray hair, wrinkles, or other cosmetic imperfections.  I wear blue jeans most days.  My shirts are usually either nondescript pullovers or tee shirts I’ve purchased at some point of interest on a vacation.  My medical provider knows what medications I need and prescribes them for me.  She doesn’t need the pharmaceutical ads and I don’t either.

 My 1998 Ford Ranger regular cab stick on the floor pickup works well for me and is cheap to operate.  I’m happy with regular Medicare and have no interest in moving to an Advantage plan from someone I know nothing about.  If I need a lawyer, I’ll ask my friends for references…not choose one based on their television ads.  We shop for groceries where we get the best service, not necessarily at the places that offer “fresher than fresh.”.  Our favorite restaurant list is pretty much fixed.

 We don’t buy beer, pricey water, or other things like that which are dangled in our faces regularly in the media.  If we want to get a new ride for the wife, we already have a dealer chosen…one we’ve used for years…and who serves us well.  As for insurance, we’ve used the same company for almost 30 years…and we’re quite happy with them.  I have no plans to buy an Apple watch, switch to I Phone, or change my cell phone carrier or Internet provider.  Hulu, Netflix, and Disney streaming hold no fascination for me.

 Well, I’ve kind of gone off on a big tangent in this Thursday Thought, but you get the idea.  Getting back, now, to what I watch on television and social media, I believe I’m rather particular in what I see and how I operate in life.  I’ve often said that I get enough “real life” in my work at the church, my interactions with my family and friends, and in life in general.  I don’t need to have my emotions ginned up by the latest police show or the newest motion picture drama.  Watching people as their lives fall apart around them and as they try to put them back together somehow is something I see and work with regularly.  I’m grateful for the peace and civility that come over me when I see a good deed being done, a wrong made right, a gesture of kindness and love, or some other piece of goodness and generosity.  I bask in the pleasure of well-performed music, whether the classics, southern gospel, or popular.  And music such as Handel’s Messiah move me in ways that I can’t describe…only experience a well-done performance.

 What moves you?  What are you taking into your life?  You know the now-old saying, “Garbage in, Garbage out.”  That also applies, by the way, to people.  Paul, that great apostle and New Testament writer, had something to say about this.  “Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”

 Blessings,

No comments: