Thursday, June 29, 2023

In Word and Deed

 Good morning and welcome to this Thursday Thought.

 A few years ago, I was in a contemplative mood one day and was thinking about some of the things I have been privileged to experience in life.  I had, I think, just turned 70 years old, and was in that kind of mood where one sort of looks over one’s life in contemplation and thanksgiving.  I decided then to start a list of things that I have experienced in life that, while not unique or extremely unusual, were things that not just everybody has the opportunity to experience.  I created a file on my computer called “Have You Ever?” and wrote my responses to that question.

Over the next weeks and months, the list grew beyond anything I had imagined.  Everything from seeing a glacier in the Arctic calve live and in person to operating a real railroad locomotive and hiking up Pikes Peak are on this list that now spans over two pages, double spaced.  And I think of one or two additional things to put on the list every so often, and have a couple in mind now, in fact.

Most of us, when we look at our lives lived, come away with the idea that we’re just another cog in the great wheel of life, and have just sort of muddled our way though the ordinary work of getting up, going to work, raising a family, shopping at the food store, and paying bills.   As I’ve looked over the list, I have come to realize that the life I’ve lived so far has been anything but routine, mundane existence.

Now that I’ve made a list of some of my accomplishments in life, the next thing for me is to understand what I just said a few seconds ago with my heart instead of just my head.  “The life I’ve lived so far has been anything but routine, mundane existence.”  I know that intellectually.  The list proves it.  But it’s really difficult for me to get past the routine…the getting up, dressing, eating, working, and so on…and fully appreciate the opportunities God has graciously given me.

And doesn’t that work on a more spiritual level as well?  We as Christians understand intellectually the story of the Good News of Jesus Christ.  We know about God’s plan for the redemption of mankind and the creation, the fulfillment of that plan in the person and work of Jesus, and the resulting freedom that comes with forgiveness of sin and adoption as sons and daughters of God.  We know all of that, but somehow, the full impact of that astounding truth seems to be lost on us as we muddle through our Christian lives, attending church services most Sundays, half-heartedly singing or joining in a community prayer, or taking the communion with thoughts of “what’s for lunch” instead of those thoughts and thanksgivings we ought to be having.

We go through the week in a sort of Christian living fog, compromising here and giving in there.  We have thoughts as well as words that aren’t supposed to be front and center during our days living as Christians.  We look the other way when need confronts us.  We continue to believe and spread obvious untruths…lies, if you will…about our co-workers, politicians, and anyone who doesn’t believe just like we do on a host of issues from immigration to church doctrine to inclusion and diversity.

It seems to me that it’s past time for many of us to recognize Truth when we see it…not just intellectually, but with our heart…as Webster defines the word heart…one’s innermost character, feelings, or inclination.  It’s only then, I think, when we can also more fully understand the incredible gifts and opportunities God has given us…gifts and opportunities which enable us to get the message of God to others…the message of hope, redemption, and grace…and that those to whom we give the message will have receptive hearts, at  least in part because of our genuineness of character.

To tell the message of forgiveness and freedom while harboring grudges, spreading untruth, and ignoring those in need is at the least disingenuous, and brings out our hypocritical nature for all to see.  How can we effectively speak of Jesus when we also effectively lock him out of our hearts?

It’s time for those of us who claim to be Christians to look like Christians…not the westernized, modernized, sanitized, and hypnotized version…but the genuine article…one that walks as one talks, and does as one says.  To be and do any less is, shall we say it gently…unforgiveable.

 Blessings.

 

No comments: