Thursday, April 04, 2024

Potpourri II

 Good morning!

 Today I’ll just share some thoughts and things that are on my mind this week.  There’s nothing earth-shaking in this post, but you might find something interesting.

Today, I will meet with a first cousin whom I haven’t seen for about 60 years.  I was a teen the last time we were together, and time and distance have kept us apart ever since then.  She’s coming to Kansas this week, and we will meet in Hesston for lunch and get re-acquainted.

Her dad was my mother’s older brother.  I know that in our brief visit we won’t be able to go through all sixty years of separation, but it will be good to see her and visit for a time.

Some of you may be wondering why I would want to visit a cousin I hadn’t seen in six decades.  Well, if you are familiar with my Mennonite heritage, you may know that Mennonites are known for keeping track of relatives, family histories, and maintaining relationships with even what many would call “shirt-tail” relatives.  It’s just kind of a “thing” that we do.  Second cousins once-removed are family, just as are aunts and uncles.  And first cousins…well…they’re part of the “close family” that we claim.  So, when this opportunity arose to meet up with my cousin, I jumped at the chance and she agreed.  I think it will be a great visit.

The first of next week, a celestial phenomenon will take place…a total eclipse of the sun that will be visible through the heart of the US.  Happening on Monday, the eclipse has received more publicity than the Super Bowl, and will be viewed by millions.  The totality path just happens to pass over several large population centers, and is quite extensive and long-lasting, compared to other eclipses.

If the weather is good, we will go to the Dallas area where my brother lives…his home is in the path of totality.  However, early forecasts are saying that area will be covered with clouds and the eclipse will not be visible.  We will wait until probably Saturday for the updated forecast, then decide whether or not to make the trip.  But even if we stay in the Wichita area, we will be able to experience an 85% or so partial eclipse, which in itself will be special.

And, I’ve seen an eclipse…the one in 2017 that passed through Nebraska.  If I don’t see this one, it won’t be the end of the world.  It would just be nice to be able to see one more in this lifetime.

On a more serious note, as you may know, I handle most of the benevolence requests that we receive at RiverWalk Church.  We have policies and procedures in place to operate that program in ways that we believe will provide the most benefit and do the most good.  There are many churches and agencies that work with those who are in need.  Food pantries, places that serve hot meals, agencies that help with rent, basic medical needs, clothing, laundry, and other needs are available.  We decided we didn’t need to re-invent the wheel, so we have tailored our benevolence to help in ways that not many other programs do.  We like to  primarily help those who are housed, but may be in danger of losing their housing because of an inability to pay a utility bill or purchase fuel for a vehicle so they can go to work, medical appointment, or school.  Our resources are limited monetarily, and we can’t help everyone with everything.  We do what we can with what we have.  And, although we have some leeway in our benevolent help guidelines, we try to adhere to them as much as possible.

One thing we insist on is that the person requesting help come to the building for an interview.  It is important for us to meet them, and for them to know where the assistance is coming from.  It is also an opportunity for us to dig a little deeper into their situation and perhaps offer some guidance, and even spiritual help if they are agreeable.

So, it happens that sometimes we hear of a benevolent need which is certainly genuine, but we have to decline because the need is not in accordance with our guidelines, or the need is much greater than we are able to help with.  That decision is usually mine alone to make, and is not a decision I make lightly.  I know something of the real world these people are living in.  I am well aware of the daily struggles to just find a meal or a place to stay for the night.  I am cognizant of the high cost of utilities, food, and transportation.  And I often hear defeat and tones of yet another rejection in the voices of those I’ve had to decline.  So, it’s not something that I approach with a cavalier attitude.  Nor is having to decline help something I enjoy, especially when children or physically or mentally challenged individuals are involved.

Those kinds of interactions…the ones when I have to decline help…happen regularly.  And each time they happen, I mentally review the situation and ask myself if I did the right thing.  I know that I will be held to account for what I do in these situations…if not from the church, I know that I will ultimately have to answer to God for my decisions.  It is an awesome thing, and also a bit scary, to know of the responsibility I carry for the decisions I make.

Take care the rest of this week.  Don’t look at the sun without eye protection.  Check up on relatives you may not have heard from in awhile.  And above all, be kind one to another and love your neighbor as yourself.  As the Jackie Deshannon song says, “What the world needs now is love, sweet love.”

No comments: