Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Great Visit

We visited the zoo yesterday. The Sedgwick County Zoo is one of the better zoos I’ve visited, and yesterday my opinion was only heightened. They just opened a great penguin exhibit and have completed many other attractions in years past for both animal and human. They continue to work on the place, and are now constructing something right in the middle of the complex.
Maybe the best exhibit of them all is the rain forest. The building one enters is humid and damp, just right for a rain forest. I was amazed, as I walked the path in the forested area, at the incredible diversity of life in the ecosystem. It seemed that everywhere I looked in the forest, a pair of eyes was looking back at me. Birds, lizards, bats, frogs, and many other species of animal inhabit this area. And the fish! As I strolled into the under-aquarium tube to gaze at the fish, the wondrous diversity of species, color, size, and shape mesmerized me. The plant life was lush and green, providing protection and food for a wide variety of animal life.
As I exited, I noticed that my clothes were wet and I really appreciated the lower humidity of the outdoors, even though the outdoor humidity was so high it bordered on oppressive.
I was again struck at the creative nature of God. Who ever heard of a big baby blue bird that walks on the ground that has a mohawk haircut? Why on earth would God have made a square fish? Or mammals that hang upside down to sleep (bats)? I have to wonder just how much of a sense of humor God has as I look at some of the things He has made.
What about the gorgeous tree frogs whose skin is so poisonous that humans can be killed just by touching them? Or the pretty green snakes or the lizards with tails that come off when attacked by a predator or well…you just think of some of your own.
Some time when you have a few hours, go to a zoo near you and appreciate the creation and all that is in it. And think of the One who made it all and marvel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie and I went to the KC Zoo about two weeks ago. We especially marveled at the elephants - huge, amazing creatures that have to cover themselves in mud to protect from sunburn, even though their skin is an inch and a half thick. And even more amazing - their metabolism would allow them to live for centuries, but their teeth wear out after 90-100 years. Having no natural predators, they die of one of two causes - poachers, and starvation.