Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Striking!!

I was standing outside our church building this evening waiting for classes to begin. We often are early for classes due to our eating at the building every Wednesday (they serve a meal there for anyone who wants to eat there…it’s $3.00 a person) at 6pm. Classes don’t start until 7pm, so there’s usually some time available.

In any event, I was standing outside the building when another member came to me. I said I was outside because it was quieter out here than inside. He remarked the same and said he had come outside to take a cell phone call from Guyana. Guyana is a South American country. This man does mission work there a couple of times a year, so the phone call wasn’t unusual for him to receive.

What struck me, though, as I wondered on out into the parking lot, was the fact that someone in South America dialed a number (actually, they probably punched in various tones that represented numbers) and a cell phone in central Wichita Kansas USA rang and these two people carried on a conversation. What an amazing technology telephony is! How wonderful! Then it really hit me.

Why is it that our government seems to have so much trouble counting votes in an election?

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Is that why so many people are voting early this time? Standing in line so long to vote early seems a bit strange, but I'm sure people have a reason. Technology can't solve all our problems, can it?

WDK