Sunday, November 02, 2008

Make a Difference

This afternoon was just drop dead gorgeous. The temperature was just right, the wind was a breeze, and the sky was clear blue as far as I could see. Fall is here, and the trees are shedding leaves that are brightly colored and hued. Native grasses are subtly beautifying the landscape with their seed heads and multi-colored stems. What could be better?

Well, a lot of things could be better, in my estimation. We could have a better election campaign season with ads that are not misleading or outright wrong. We could have a favorable international balance of trade. We could have elected officials that truly take our interests to heart instead of the interest of how to maintain their positions. Individuals could take others’ best interests to heart as well in the form of respect, dignity, deference, and humility.

I could go on and on about what is wrong with the world today. However, I must stop and ask myself, “What am I doing about it?” Yes, me. What am I doing about the elected officials, or treating people with respect, or the balance of trade? What am I doing about the issues that affect me and about which I complain? What can I do? How can I do anything about some of these? I feel so helpless and powerless.

I’m not going to give you any answer to the question of “What can I do?” Instead, I’m going to leave it to you to seriously ponder that question in response to the things you complain about, and find something that you can do to help alleviate that issue. It doesn’t matter to me if the issue is homelessness, the deterioration of morality, abortion, corruption, violence, or something else.

You can do something. You are not powerless. We hear and read regular accounts of people who have and are making a difference. Ordinary people in an ordinary position in life are making extraordinary differences in the world. If you still are clueless, Google “make a difference” and take a look at some of the URL’s that come up.

It’s easy to complain. It’s a lot tougher to find an answer and a response that is appropriate. But that’s your task right now. And if you’d like to tell me just one thing that you complain about and what you’ve decided to do about it, email me or comment on this blog. If not, that’s OK; just don’t complain to me about whatever it is that gripes at you.

No comments: