Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is Thanksgiving Day. It is a national holiday, made so during the Lincoln administration. It is meant to be a time of thanksgiving. It has, as most things do over time, morphed into something far different than the original intent.

That’s not necessarily bad. As society changes, these kinds of things change with it. Some of the changes are seen as good; others as unnecessary or even bad. The great thing about the holiday is that families can celebrate it (or not) pretty much any way they choose. And that in itself is something for which to be grateful.

Tomorrow is Black Friday, the day where the world is supposed to go shopping and give new life, especially this year, to an economy that many think is in sore need of a boost. I don’t plan to go shopping tomorrow. I plan to work. I have not made all of my purchases this year, but know what I will be getting and will buy them when the opportunity presents itself. Besides, what I want to buy won’t be on any sales racks tomorrow anyway. When I’m ready to get my items, I’ll go the store, go right to the display, choose the item, and pay for it all in the expanse of (hopefully) less than 15 minutes. And I’ll be done. If that means I’m not doing enough to prop up the economy, then I’m sorry, but that’s the best I’ll do.

Sometime this weekend, I need to at least formulate a plan for putting up outdoor lights. I’m not looking forward to it, but think it would be “best” if I made the attempt. Once up, I enjoy them; I just don’t like to do the work. Maybe I should hire someone to do my lights for me. There are people that do that in the Wichita area. Hmm. That opens up a whole new thought process…I’ll have to give that some thinking time.

Actually, there are people in the Wichita area that will do just about anything for you. They’ll shop, clean, drive, poop-scoop, trim, haul, deliver, build, pet-bathe, sit, cook, winterize…you name it; someone here will do it for a fee.

Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Scotty said...

Let me know when you do decide to put lights up and I'll come out and help you.