Monday, November 03, 2008

A New Addition

Friday evening we had our family over for pizza. When sis arrived, I was out on the drive looking at a stray dog that had wandered into our neighborhood. One of my neighbors had earlier told me that the dog had been here for several hours and possibly a day or so, so his daughter put out some water for it. He said they called animal control to come and get it.
When I told my sister what I was looking at, she immediately saw the dog and tried to befriend it (I knew she would do that). One thing led to another and before I knew it, the dog was in our back yard and she had gone to the store for some food.
Coming back, she fed her and said she would be back today to take her to the humane society. When she came back today, that had changed to taking the dog to the vet to be checked out. It was obvious that the dog had been either homeless for some time or had been abused. But she was friendly and seemed to be behaved.
Saturday, the vet said that she was in basically good shape, didn't have heartworms, and had a bacterial infection on her skin that made her hair shed. She has several cracked or broken teeth, and is not neutered.
As of now, the dog (Lydia is her name, since she was found on Lydia street) is at my sister's house and is being medicated for the infection and treated to a bath (that should be interesting). Sister's hubby isn't too thrilled about this whole affair, but she thinks he will come around.
I know that sometimes it isn't worth it to save an animal like this. The cost is just prohibitive. However, it doesn't take that much to take it to the vet and have it examined...then make the determination as to what to do. I also know that it isn't possible for one person to take in every stray that comes along and do what Sis did.
But isn't it good to know that there are still people in the world who have compassion for those (animal or human) who are in need. There's an attitude there that manifests in deeds such as this...an attitude that is more and more being shoved to the background as greed and selfishness come front and center. Christians are called to be salt, light, and leaven. I don't have time to go into the theological explanations of that statement, but will only say that it is more critical than ever in this day and time that we truly become what we are asked to be.

No comments: