Monday, November 10, 2008

The Small Things

I want you to know that I started a blog about the thunderstorm moving through, and the power went off. Not having a UPS, I lost a couple of paragraphs, which I will try to recapture here.

As I sit here this evening, I am witnessing what may be the last true thunderstorm of 2008. The thunder is heavy and frequent, lighting is dancing all over the sky, and the rain is coming down heavily. The radar shows a line of thunderstorms moving through the area, with rather heavy returns on the radar echo.

Most of today, it has rained. It started about 9:30 this morning, and has rained more or less gently all day. But tonight, it seems that Someone wanted to flex some muscles, so we now have thunder, lightning, heavy rain, and just a wisp of hail on the roof.

(What follows will be the post-outage part of the blog.)

We are still experiencing thunder almost continuously, although it’s farther away than it was a few minutes ago. Lightning is still all over the sky, and it’s still raining, albeit slower.

I stood outside for a few minutes just after the storm started. I wanted to experience possibly the last display of spring/summer weather this year. I don’t know why; it just seemed important to me.

I seem to relish these kinds of things in life more and more. Smiles on children, orb spiders spinning big webs in the fall, pleasant smells, sunsets (I don’t get up early enough for sunrises), our music worship on Sundays, good coffee, rain, time with loved ones, and a host of other things that are for many routine, small, and unnoticed are for me some of life’s best moments.

I hope you are enjoying the small things in life. What are some of the small things you enjoy? Do you seek them out? After all, those small things are really, I think, God’s way of saying that He loves you and wants you to enjoy all that life has to offer. And we are blessed that it offers us so much; we are blind, ignorant, and idiotic in that we enjoy it so little.

2 comments:

Wayne said...

The "small things" quite often turn out to be some of the biggest things that happen. We have often called them "God moments." They just seem to happen. That's what makes them special.

WDK

Anonymous said...

I could almost smell the rain when I read your sentence about stepping outside during the storm.

I too enjoy small things like good coffee, a child's smile, laughter, a good strong storm. In fact, I've been trying to cultivate that as a form of worship over the last couple of years. It has increased my joy in Christ.

- Chris