Friday, July 03, 2009

Another Day

This, the end of another day, is the day before Independence Day. The neighborhood is lit up and noisy as various fireworks, legal and illegal, find their way into the evening sky. I don’t mind the illegal stuff…I was brought up with it and appreciate the responsibility of using the stuff wisely. Still, there is the law….
Today I went to the rehab center and listened to my sister, nephew and niece in a piano concert for the residents. They played, sang, did duets, sang hymns, cowboy songs, etc. They did a good job, worked about an hour, and had the adoration of about half of the residents in the place who came to listen.
I hope sis knows how blessed she is that she can play duets with her grown son, sing with her daughter, and enjoy a musical time together. And I hope they also appreciate their mom and her talent and ability to make music in the air by looking at splotches of ink on paper and translating that into notes on a piano.
Having a good relationship with your grown kids is a really cool experience. And doing something with them that you all enjoy, such as singing and playing, is all the more fun and satisfying.
I enjoy working with my son. He does I/T at the rehab center one afternoon a week. Even that small time is a time I truly enjoy, knowing how much he has (and is) growing to maturity, and marveling at his knowledge of things I can only wonder about. He’s truly a help to me and to all of us there even though he only works a few hours a week.
Tomorrow is, should we be blessed with it, yet another day. We’ll have 24 hours to use. I wonder what we’ll do with all that time?

No comments: