Saturday, July 25, 2009

One With the Plunger

I know this is two blogs in one day (three in two days), but I have to say this yet. A couple of weeks ago, I was called into work after hours to fix a toilet that wasn’t flushing. (If you have a weak stomach, you might want to reconsider whether you want to finish this or not). The aide that called said she had worked with the plunger but couldn’t clear the clog and hoped I would come in and use the “snake” on it. She said they had given the resident of that room a laxative, and it was vital (my word, not hers) to have properly-working plumbing.
I went in, looked over the situation, and decided that although it appeared rather grim, to just use the plunger again. It took some effort, and I had to use a couple of tricks (you didn’t know plunging a potty had any “tricks”, did you), but eventually got everything working without having to resort to the “snake”.
I cleaned things up and went to tell the aide that it was now working. She asked me if I used the “snake” and I told her that I used the plunger instead. She again told me that she couldn’t do it with the plunger and asked me how I did it. I just told her I had to “finesse” it a little, but it all came out well in the end (groan).
She then said, “Oh, so you had to become one with the plunger?”
I laughed and said, “Something like that,” and went on my way.
Being a little more serious here, I don’t know that being “one” with the plunger was the right way to put it, but the thought has merit for whatever we do, it seems. I’m beginning to think that the more we can become “one” with our task or responsibility, the better we can accomplish that task.
What do you think? Are there tasks and responsibilities in life that just don’t call for this kind of devotion? Or is this a good general principle that we could embrace a little more than we sometimes do?

No comments: