Wednesday, July 08, 2009

An Apparition

Today we are saying good bye to our house guests, who will move over to our son’s home for the rest of the week. Our other son will stay here and we will welcome my oldest brother and his family sometime this afternoon. That seems like a lot of moving and work, but our son wasn’t home until Monday, having gone to a wedding on the other side of the family in Colorado over the weekend. So sis and her family stayed with us until they got back and settled back in.
So we’re washing towels and bedding, taking out trash and running errands. We’re also wondering about the coming heat wave that has been predicted for here. Highs are to be 100 or greater for the next several days. I changed out the filter in the furnace and cleaned out the air conditioner coils outside. Other than that, I can only hope that everything holds together over these next several days as we will host nine in our home.
As I look over at the basement bar, I see a stack of paper plates, a huge package of napkins, several cases of the snack-size chips, and a tub with assorted paper towels, utensils, etc. overflowing out the top. Our guests are carting out their suitcases, trying to get everything back into the car that came out of it a few days ago. They will be hanging around here for a few more hours before moving, but are removing their belongings from the bedrooms so we can get them ready for the other families.
And here I am sitting here typing on the blog with all of this other activity around me. Sometimes I feel like a kind of an apparition observing the goings on around me, but not quite into the reality of what is happening. Thankfully, that doesn’t happen very often and I see that it will be only a couple of minutes until I need to move the wash along and empty the trash. So much for being an apparition.

1 comment:

MamaRedd said...

We appreciate hanging out your place the last few days. You have a wonderful home, and we have felt very welcomed and comfortable. Thanks for having us!