Saturday, November 28, 2009

An Assignment

Earlier this week I received a post card in the mail. Our church office sent it, asking me to participate in the services tomorrow by saying some words before we take up our “Gifts of Gratitude” (AKA the collection or offering). Also on the card is the theme for the day and a scripture reference. The theme happens to be “Gratitude That Costs Something”. The reference is Colossians 3 where Paul says that whatever we do, we are to do it in the name of Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
I never quite know how to approach things like this. Although a sermon isn’t in order here, they do expect me to take a moment or two and give some thoughts about what is happening. As I think about my assignment, I find myself looking inward at my own views regarding giving, gratitude, and thanksgiving.
The card also says that, “An expression of gratitude should bring about a difference in the way we live and the things we value.” I don’t know about you, but I have a hard time thinking back to a time when gratitude made a difference in the way I live. Maybe I don’t know what I’m looking for, or maybe, just maybe I am not as grateful as I sometimes seem to be. Oh I know that one expression of gratitude probably will not cause any kind of an “Aha” moment, but one would think that there would be something in the past which, if I was as grateful as I thought I was, would kind of stand out. Or maybe my life has been more a continual expression of gratitude than I think it has, and it’s sort-of ingrained and “normal” now.
By the way, just what is an “expression of gratitude”? Is it giving into the collection plate at church? Is it helping the homeless in some way? Is it volunteering at the school? Or is it possibly sending money to a missionary or mission? Could it be as simple as saying, “I am grateful?” Or is there more to it than these things? Is expressing gratitude something we do in a compartmentalized day, or is it something we are continually as we go about the day’s activities and routines?
And as for the things that I value, I really haven’t given a lot of thought to that lately. What is it that I truly value? I can tell you now that as I think about that, nothing much of a material nature comes to mind. Our house? We’ve lived in 14 different houses in our married life. It doesn’t mean that much to me. Our transportation? Give me a break. Other things? Nothing much there that really comes out and bites me. It’s all old, utilitarian, or not worth much.
So what do I value? (In no particular order) The ability to see and enjoy God’s creation. My family. My life partner. The peace and satisfaction that come from being a child of God. My church family. Employment. My role as the hands and feet of Jesus.
As I look on the above paragraphs, I realize that this topic can be much more complicated than it might first appear. But I also see a simplicity in that it seems that God is calling us to a life that if lived as He would desire, would be one where the normal and routine of life and living would continually reflect our gratitude and thanksgiving. That routine of life and living would also encompass the list, so to speak, of those things we value most, with perhaps the most revealing aspect of that list being what is NOT on it.
So, are you grateful? Do you express that gratitude in some tangible way? Is gratitude a part of who you are, or is it something you set aside time in the day to do? What is it that you value? How does what you value differ from what you think Mary or Paul or Timothy would value? I’m looking forward to the day tomorrow.

No comments: