Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving

Today is the day before Thanksgiving. It’s a time to remember the blessings that have come our way and in a greater sense, be a conduit of blessing to others.
Even during holidays, life happens. Today, Jack, a resident at our nursing home, breathed his last. Jack was someone that I would sit with and have coffee and conversation sometimes in the mornings. I don’t know his family. I didn’t know him until he came into the home. This Thanksgiving, Jack’s family is having to deal with everything that comes with the death of a loved one.
I’ve seen death many, many times in my health care career. Witnessing those deaths lessens not the impact of what I see and quenches not the thoughts, questions, and introspection as yet another of God’s creation begins the final part of the final journey.
So this evening is kind of melancholy for me. I seem to take these things with a little more emotion than some and greatly appreciate my having a role in Jack’s care during his last months of life. We aren’t perfect at the home and we don’t provide perfect care. But I think we do care and care greatly.
The holiday will come tomorrow. We will gather with family tomorrow. We will also gather again over the weekend with other family. It will be a time of bonding, thanksgiving, and relaxation. This year, there will also be some introspection.
Have a good holiday.

No comments: