Sunday, November 08, 2009

Farmers Oil Co.

It happens often enough on trips we take in our car that we talk about it some when it happens. I’m sure it doesn’t happen every trip, but it comes about often enough that we kind of look out for it now.
What is it? This may sound a little strange, but we seem to invariably come across a Farmers Oil Co. truck on the road at some point in our trip somewhere. Now, you may not think much of this, or think that this is kind of crazy, but it’s true. You see, we are from the area where Farmers Oil Co. is located (Anthony, Kansas) and their trucks are somewhat unique-looking.
We’ve seen those trucks on trips to Michigan, Kansas City, Hays, Branson, and many other places. We see them in places we wouldn’t think we’d see them. We usually don’t see them more than once a trip. And we usually see them within 400 or so miles from Anthony (although not always).
Its become a kind of a game with me, not that I expend every ounce of energy to find one. Sometimes I see them on short trips to Central Kansas, but most often our destination is a hundred or more miles from Wichita in order for us to be on the road long enough to see one.
I see by a web page (not theirs) that they have twenty-some trucks and about twice as many trailers. They haul primarily petroleum products, as their name implies.
Why this has become a kind of a thing with us, I don’t know. I do know that I’ve been seeing them for many years on the road, and have been kind of looking for them as a kind of a game for several years. It helps break the tedium of Interstate highway travel and brings us back to earth, so to speak. I know that all is well if I see a Farmers Oil truck as I drive down the road.

No comments: