Saturday, August 02, 2008

Carrie Lou

I was looking through a publication from my college of the early 1980’s, Oklahoma Christian College (now, it’s Oklahoma Christian University). I don’t often look in the obituaries in the Christian Chronicle, but did this morning. In those obits, I saw the name of someone who possibly single-handedly saved my marriage, my well-being, my career, and my family.

This woman took me under her wing immediately following my unceremonious termination from employment at a church in Ardmore, Oklahoma in 1983. Many church workers call such terminations massacres, and I tend to agree. In any event, Carrie Lou, a woman of elegance, intelligence, sense, means, compassion, and love offered to pay my way to my choice of either Harding University in Arkansas or Oklahoma Christian in Oklahoma City. She was on the Board of Trustees at both institutions. Anything I could charge to my college account would be paid for by Carrie Lou.

I spent just over a year at OCC. During that time, I amassed 62 credit hours toward a degree. I will forever be grateful beyond words to Carrie Lou for her faith in me.

Not only did she enable me to start on my path to a degree, more importantly, she gave me and my family time to heal, reflect, validate, and grow. Her acceptance of the responsibility to provide for us provided us with a first-hand understanding of unconditional love and acceptance. She gave us a chance to reconnect, to “find” ourselves, and to understand that God has a plan for us.

Although I could not finish my degree at that time due to health concerns of my parents, I used that education to forever change, I think, my direction in life and begin to understand the purpose of my being. I am who and what I am today in large part because Carrie Lou had compassion on a young man who showed the promise of a better life.

Carrie Lou passed away in late June. Her husband passed away just a few days ago and was buried on August 1. If you care to, you can see her obituary at http://www.ardmoreite.com/obituaries/x833719071/Carrie-Lou-Scott-Little-Davis

Rest in peace, Carrie Lou, and thank you.

1 comment:

The Looney's said...

Thank you for your beautiful words! She is greatly missed.
Her granddaughter, Carrie Downing Looney