Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Something to Learn

If I have learned anything by working in a nursing home, it is the related virtues of taking things slowly and with patience. Sometimes I recognize that on my own; sometimes it is forced upon me.

What I am about to say is in no way disparaging of or condescending to those in our charge at the home. Each one is an individual created by God, with his or her own personality, strengths, and weaknesses. Each one is at the home because of an inability to care for his or herself in some way. Each one probably wishes for (and longs for) a time when he or she once again can be self-sufficient; when a foot, an arm, or some other body part moves when commanded, when a mind works as it should, and when a medical issue was no more complex than a cold.

To turn a corner and come upon someone slowly shuffling down the hall, having to stop every few feet to catch a breath, and with the greatest of difficulty imaginable willing one’s feet to move in such a way that progress down the hall is made, however small, is one of the most humbling experiences I’ve ever had.

To put someone into a vehicle and hear them tell me that their feet don’t always do what they are commanded to do…meaning I will have to put their legs and feet into the vehicle because they just won’t move on their own…is not only humbling for them, but is also an almost spiritual experience for me, at times.

I have the privilege, five or more days a week, to be of service in some way to over 50 people with one or more disabilities that make it impossible for them to navigate this world and their environment on their own. Most of the time I see to it that the building is the correct temperature, the lights work, and the plumbing isn’t clogged up. Sometimes I am able to help with a resident in some way, or just observe as they, with great stamina and courage, make it through another day.

I would be a complete idiot if I didn’t take a lesson or two from these experiences. These people are, for the most part my senior, and I can learn from them things no one else can teach. “Slow down and be patient,” they seem to be saying to me. “Don’t let life run away from you.”

Will I learn? Intellectually, I already know. It’s the “taking it to heart” that is the problem for me. One of these days, I may not have much choice in the matter. I may be one of the ones who cannot live on my own. I may be one of the ones being cared-for by others much younger than I. I may be one of those who can yet teach those younger ones something about patience.

No comments: