Thursday, December 31, 2009

End-of-Decade Musings

Today is the last day of 2009 and of the decade. (You can count the decade any way you like; in my blog, it ends today.) Ten years ago tonight, I was at the hospital where we worked, making certain that the Y2K hullabaloo was just that and nothing more. About 10 minutes after midnight, when I was satisfied that nothing we had there was going to blow up or disappear, I went out back and lit some fireworks in the street. The city had allowed fireworks to be sold and shot that night for the special occasion of the beginning of a new century. Naturally, I couldn't pass up that opportunity.
Tonight, if God wills, we will spend a relatively quiet evening at my brother's place with friends and relatives, eating, talking, and playing mindless games. There won't be much late-sleeping tomorrow as we probably won't stay up that late. Old people don't stay up late much, you know. Other than that, the decade of the 20-teens will be ushered in whether we like it or not and whether we're ready for it or not.
When that happens, I will have been a part of eight decades, but who's counting? Born in 1949, I like to say that because it makes me even older than I am. Hopefully, others will also think of me as wiser than I am, since age and wisdom traditionally go together.
My, my, a lot has happened these last 10 years. I hope, though, that through it all, what has really taken place is that I have grown more accepting of myself and others, of my lot in life, and of my inability to create true happiness and peace for myself. I hope I have honed my reliance on the One who made it all in such a way that would enable a relationship with Him like I've never had before. And regardless where the 20-teen decade takes us, I would hope that I can say at the end of it, “I have loved and have been loved.”

No comments: