Monday, February 27, 2012

They Believed in Me (Part II)

I will continue my theme of telling of those who have helped me in some way develop myself, encouraged me to do better, or provided some kind of assistance to me in some aspect of life. We tend to think we can do things ourselves, but if we stop and think, we know that others have given to our success…sometimes given a lot.
It’s the same with our Christian faith. We can’t do it on our own. It’s only by the choosing of God to bestow grace and mercy, and provide other people to help and encourage us that make us what we are.
I think of the man who hired me in my first job out of tech school. My first day at work at the TV station where I was hired on as an engineer, Keith (the head engineer) met me in the early morning hours, and we went through the opening of the station and the sign-on process. We were the only ones there, and were responsible for getting the station on the air and operating for the day. The second day, I showed up when I was supposed to, but Keith wasn’t there. I waited a little bit, but determined that he probably wasn’t going to be there in time to get the station up and running. So I did my best to recall everything we did the day before. And the list was a long one. Turning on switches here, punching on the transmitter to warm up in a certain sequence, loading the sign-on slides and film (this was back in the late 1960’s, folks), and pushing the right buttons to get things on the air was no small task. I was nervous as all get-out.
I succeeded in signing on and getting things rolling, and Keith showed up about 30 minutes after sign-on. I can’t recall if he said anything about being late, and whether he knew it or not (or whether his lateness was intentional or not), but by his being late, he made me realize that I could take instruction; I could do things that I had to do; I could function in the world. I’ve never forgotten that morning.
I think of a young woman I met back then who saw something in me that I didn’t see in myself. She encouraged me, loved me, and believed in me. We’re still married after all these years. I couldn’t be where I am without her.
I think of Bob out in Goodland when we moved out that way who took me under his wing, so to speak, and taught me a lot about how to work with people, and how NOT to work with people. We also discussed God, faith, and all that goes with that. He was one of the hardest-working preachers I have known. We produced a local weekly fifteen minute television religious television show (I mean we did it all, as I was now an engineer at the TV station in Goodland and we taped the show after hours. I was the engineer/director and Bob was the producer/on-air talent.), and he produced a daily radio announcement in addition to everything else.
That’s enough for now. I’ve only begun. More next time.

No comments: