Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Banking on a Promise


This week has been different so far, to say the least.  I’ll not bore you with the details, but they include the lead minister being on vacation, two relatively unexpected deaths in the congregation, a relative of ours who is in the hospital here in Wichita, and other more minor things.
I don’t do Facebook to the point that many others do Facebook, but I enjoy keeping up with those who are my friends, and I cherish the connections that we now have through that medium that we would not otherwise have.  I post things sometimes, and most of the time try not to be too serious about it all.  As I get older, I have begun to see that being tough, hard-nosed, and too serious about many things get in the way of life and living as I believe God intended.  Yes, I am concerned about such things as the ongoing drought, the situation in Syria, the various fiscal crises, health care, and a myriad of other issues.  But I am becoming less and less polarized, and hopefully less and less polarizing regarding these things because I am more and more seeing that there are no easy answers.  And there are usually at least two sides, and many times more than that, to every issue.
I’ve often wondered what, besides advancing age, may be prompting a gradual change in my world view.  Where everything used to be pretty much black and white, now I see many more colors and shades of gray.  I’m not certain, but wonder if my association with the church might have something to do with it.
I work as minister to adults and seniors in an inner-city church that serves an ever-changing and ever-evolving inner-city clientele.  However, the issues change very little over time.  Hunger, homelessness, poor health, poverty, addictions, and inappropriate behaviors seem to cover many of the issues we and they face together.  These issues are, for the most part, chronic, persistent, stubborn, and intractable.  We know that our efforts as well as the efforts of countless others (including government), won’t solve the problems.
However, we aren’t told by Jesus to solve the problems of the world.  We are told to love our neighbor as ourselves, and to love one another (Mark 12, Romans 13).  And Paul, the great apostle to the gentiles, tells us in his dissertation on love in I Corinthians 13, that “Love never fails.”  And loving our neighbor as ourselves means that whatever we would want for ourselves, we want for our neighbor.  Loving means that we desire the best for someone else, even if it means that we are consumed in the process.
So, if we desire to have a roof over our heads, food in our stomachs, and good physical health, in some way we need to work to make those things a reality for our neighbor.  Why?  Because we have to?  No, because we are children of the living God, ourselves being loved by God to the extent that He grants us grace and mercy and favor and forgiveness and sonship.
Loving one another may NOT mean that we throw fifty-dollar bills over the railing of the First Street bridge just outside our back doors down to the homeless who live under it.  But it may mean that we not only desire the best for them; we actively work to help them in whatever capacity we can.  Whether that be to provide a voice for them in political and community circles, obtaining an address for them so they can apply for assistance, praying for them and for those who interact with them, encouraging and enabling training, education, and good health habits, or whatever it be that they are willing to embrace, we need to do what we can.
Yes, love never fails.  I’m finding that I can bank on that promise.  What about you?

No comments: