Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Heavenly Sunshine



OK, OK, so it’s been a couple of weeks.  Give me a break.  I’m getting older, and the brain doesn’t work quite as well as it used to work.  Or maybe I just don’t move quite as fast as I sued to move.  In any event, sometimes I get behind.
It’s been a roller-coaster winter for us here in Kansas.  We’ve had our warmer weather, but not too much of it.  And we’ve had our cold, below zero weather (again, but not too much of it).  We’ve had some snow, some rain, some ice, some wind, and some sun.  A patchwork of weather, I would say, has come our way these last couple of months.  This, I think, is what winter should be like in South-Central Kansas.
I’m sure we will yet have a time when there will come what seem to be endless days of gloom, clouds, fog, and drizzly-foggy-icy-ick.  There usually is at least one of those during the winter and early spring.  Times when for days at a time, the low clouds hang in and hang on, blocking out any notion of the sun and bright days.
These are the days when I am at my worst.  I am moody, irritable, and grouchy.  And if that isn’t enough, I am listless, hard to get along with, and temperamental.  And when the sun does reappear, it’s as if a dark veil has been lifted from my eyes, and it doesn’t take long for all to be right with the world again.
Some people like these days.  Some people live where there are many of these days.  And I suppose I could live there, too, if I had to do so.  But I’d really rather not, so as to be of maximum grouchiness a minimal amount of time.
One thing I tend to NOT do during these days of fog, low clouds, and gloom is think about the sunshine that is heavenly in nature, and of which several songs, many of them older songs, tell.  One such song is just called “Heavenly Sunshine.”  It goes like this…a simple chorus.

Heavenly sunshine, heavenly sunshine,
Flooding my soul with glory divine,
Heavenly sunshine, heavenly sunshine,
Hallelujah! Jesus is mine!

You know, maybe if I would think more about things like this during those days of gloomy clouds, and less about how I am inconvenienced by those clouds, my whole attitude might change.  I just might be a decent person and one who others would want to be around.  Hopefully, I’ll recall that I typed this blog when that time comes, and try it.

No comments: