Thursday, November 16, 2023

Have You Ever?

 

I think that as one gets older, one’s thinking process begins to change.  Instead of thinking about the next mountain to conquer or the next ocean to cross, one begins to do a little more reminiscing and thinking back on life and living.  A few years ago, I noticed that I was beginning to think about life in that way more so than I had been in times past.

I was approaching 70 years old at the time, and found myself thinking about where I had been in life, what I had done, and how that has affected me now.  During some of these times of thinking, I began to recall things I did in life that although they may not have been unique, they were, at least in my mind, things that not just anyone would have the privilege of doing.  I began to record those things in a document file under a heading of, "Have You Ever?"  Over time, I have added to that list, and now have a list of about 80 things that I have done which I consider to be things that not just anyone and everyone has done in life.

What kinds of things?  Things such as operating a real railroad locomotive.  Driving a Chevrolet Corvette.  Visiting the Yukon Territory in Canada.  Hiking up Pikes Peak.  Dining at an officers’ club on a military base.  Singing “Amazing Grace” with Judy Collins in a live concert.  Standing outside in a snowstorm in July.  Petting a live porcupine.

These and many others are things that in and of themselves aren’t necessarily earth-shattering or life-changing, but each of them has had a part in the formulation of who I am.  As with many other events in life, each of these events has helped shape my thoughts and yes, my actions today, even though many of them happened years ago, and some happened decades ago in my youth…as was hiking up Pikes Peak… 

The writing down of these kinds of things has also brought to mind something else…how incredibly blessed life has been these past 70-some years.  We often think that our lives consist pretty much all about the daily activities of living…eating, sleeping, working, paying bills, doing laundry, wrangling kids.  In other words, the routine and ordinary.  And although those things are indeed part of life and living, often there is so much more that we are participants in and are part of…things that enrich us…make us better people…give us joy…and teach us about life.

One doesn’t have to be wealthy to experience things in life that enrich us and give us joy.  Often, things that are free…that cost nothing…are some of the best life-enrichment events there are.  I realize that enjoying a sunrise, hearing robins singing on a spring morning, getting a thank-you card in the mail, helping a neighbor with something, taking food to someone who can’t get out, and looking after a grand child may seem ordinary and everyday.  And they aren’t of themselves unusual or unique like operating a real railroad locomotive or hiking up Pikes Peak.  But they are things that can give us joy, teach us about life, and make us better people.

I encourage you to start your own “Have You Ever” list of things in your life history that you believe may be a bit unusual or out of the ordinary.  Add to it as you think of things.  Review that list from time to time as you live your daily life.  I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the variety of experiences, the joy, and the wealth of “life education” you have received as a result of those experiences.  If you’re like most people, your life has been anything but dull and routine.  You just may not have come to that realization yet.  This exercise may help you do that.

 

Blessings,

No comments: