Thursday, December 28, 2023

What Can I Do?

 Over the years, I’ve taken notice of the fact that as far as the national and international stages are concerned, I’m pretty much a non-entity.  For example, I can’t affect the outcome of the Israel-Hamas war.  I can’t change the outcome of the New Hampshire primary.  Whether or not people are found guilty or not guilty of crimes having to do with the 2020 election is nothing I can affect.  I have no control over earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters.  I can’t stop rampant inflation, corruption, and spreading poverty in developing and third-world nations.  My feeble attempts to slow climate change are like spitting in the wind.

The twenty-four hour news cycle does its best to keep me riled up and hunkered down behind my ideological wall.  I am supposed to be angry at certain people and groups; upset with how things are turning out in government, and worried sick about inflation and corruption.  The stress and strain of it all isn’t good for my health, my well-being, or my relationships.

So, does that mean that I just chuck it all and go live under a bridge somewhere?  As a follower of Jesus Christ, what do I expect of myself?  What does God expect of me?  How can I help bring redemption and God’s peace to the world?  What do I do?

First, pray.  Prayer takes me out to places and events that otherwise I would have no contact with in any meaningful way.  I can pray for peace.  I can pray for wise leadership.  I can pray for the solving of seemingly intractable problems and issues.  I can pray for the raising up of people who CAN affect these issues.  I can even pray that I will be brought to an understanding of what to pray for.  I can reach out to Israel, Ukraine, Russia, Hamas, New Hampshire, Washington D.C., and other places that I otherwise have no avenue to, through prayer, petitioning for peace, relief, and justice.

Second, quoting my friend Jennifer White, I may not be able to do everything, but I can do something.  Politically, I can talk with my city council representative.  I can communicate with my state representatives.  I can participate in both local and national elections as an informed…not an ideological…voter.  I can join with others on a local level to effect change that will bring about justice, mercy, and peace.  I can contribute my time, energy, and resources as I can and am able.  Above all, I can be understanding regarding the opinions of others and also understand that my world view is just that…my point of view…and is not the once-for-all solution to all of life’s problems.

I can also do other things that at first glance seem to be nothing of substance.  I can open a door for someone, pick up some trash and litter, be pleasant with the clerk at the hardware store, be understanding when the teller at the bank seems to be having a bad day.  I can tip the wait person more than a minimal amount.  I can drive defensively and humanely, and not like a screaming banshee.  I can give deference to someone; affirm someone’s humanity; say, “I’m sorry,” and hug my grand kids.

I can donate food, clothing, time, energy, and cash to those places and causes who will make use of it to help redeem their and my corner of the world.  The place to begin with that is, in my view, the local church in its outreach to the poor, the addicted, the sick, and the troubled.  Beyond the church, there are countless non-profits and orgs who do wonderful things in so many ways.  Choose one or two and become part of their community in some way.

I can also do my best to develop and foster good relationships with my spouse, my family, my friends and those who I encounter in my daily life.  Even in this broken world, kindness and civility go a long way toward good relationships.  I can think of others before I think of myself.  The list goes on.  I can defer to others when possible.  Let my speech be gracious.  Treat others like I would want to be treated.  And love my neighbor.  Grow close to God.  Allow Him to guide my steps.

As you can readily see, the things that I CAN do are really a tall order.  I won’t be able to do all of these all the time, nor will I do them perfectly.  There will be times when I break down the façade of grace and kindness, and, for example, drive Kellogg like a wild banshee.  There will be times when I am not pleasant with the store clerk.  There will be times when I’d rather banish my grand kids from my presence instead of hugging them.  And there will be times when I don’t treat others at all like I’d like to be treated.  I won’t carry though with my prayers and petitions.  I’ll become agitated with the latest scandal that comes out of Washington.  And I’ll watch far too much news coverage…much more than I need or want.

However, like good wine, as I age, I also grow.  Grow in grace.  Grow in knowledge of Jesus Christ.  Grow in becoming more like him.  I become more aware of my influence on others in life as well as my limitations, both physical and mental.  I can’t do everything…I never could…but I always could, and can continue to do something.

 

Blessings.

No comments: