Monday, October 16, 2006

The Full Measure

Our minister pointed us to a verse, in closing his sermon yesterday, that I had never really seen before.  It’s found in Revelation (yeah, that book that no one can understand), chapter 21 and verse 7.  The New American Standard Bible renders it thus, “He who overcomes shall inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.”
Note especially the first part.  “He who overcomes shall inherit these things.”
Now, we could get into a discussion of what “these things” are, but I think if one looks at prior verses, he can get a good idea of what these things are.  My point is that it doesn’t say that all who overcome will share in an inheritance.  I think it is saying that each one who overcomes will inherit a full measure of “these things” and not have to share or divide an inheritance with anyone.
How can that be?  I don’t know the answer to that any more than I can know how God can be omnipresent or three persons in one.  Put this one in the “unknowable” bin and mark it as “wondrous” along with so many other grand things we find in God.
My kids aren’t going to get much of an inheritance from me.  And what they do get, they’ll have to share.  But it won’t be that way, I think, with God and me.  I’ll get the full measure of the inheritance, just as you’ll also get the full measure of the inheritance.  Think about that today.

No comments: