Friday, October 13, 2006

Who Would Have Thought?

I was in the local Subway sandwich shoppe this evening buying sandwiches for the girls for movie night. On Fridays, we often rent a movie and have movie night at our house. I had orders for five sandwiches, and was telling the young man what to put on what sandwich, when someone standing in line behind me said, “Jay,” and I turned. There were several people in line and I wasn’t sure which one said it until she said it again.
It was someone from my hometown not far from here. She recognized my voice, she said, as I ordered sandwiches. I didn’t recognize her until she said who she was.
Turns out she was a teen playing softball years ago and recognized me because she caught and I umpired…calling balls and strikes right behind her.
Life sends everyone into some twists and turns from time to time. Who would have thought that such a meeting would ever take place in a sandwich shop? Moreover, who would have thought that she’s living not far from us? I have to wonder just how many people I know are living within 5 miles of me? 10 miles of me? 20 miles?
I’d like to see a map of this area with the pins stuck in it wherever someone lives that I know or have known over the years. I think I’d be surprised, and I’d like to think that I’d remember them all with memories that are pleasant.
But that map will never happen, and I probably won’t ever know who is near me that I know. And maybe that’s for the better.

No comments: