Sunday, October 01, 2006

True Intelligence

I have always thought I was a reasonably intelligent individual.  Graduated ninth in my class in high school, with honors, 3.86 overall college GPA, 4.00 in the core courses.  I’ve held jobs that often required thought and work.  I consider myself to be at least moderately well-read and knowledgeable.
However, there are several things that I just look at and shake my head, because I have no clue how or why and probably never will.  One of those things is child abuse.
My wife and I are now in an occupation (houseparents) where the reality of child abuse (I don’t care if it’s physical, mental, emotional, or sexual…which includes all of the others) is before us every day.  Children are starved, chained, neglected, used for sex, given drugs, traded, passed around, and drained of all semblance of humanity or dignity.  This may not mean much to you, but when you see the effects every day and work with the effects every day and deal with the effects every day, it suddenly means a whole lot more.
The verse I am now thinking of suddenly means a whole lot more, too.  Mark records in Mark 10:13-16, And they were bringing children to Him so that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked them.  But when Jesus saw this, He was indignant and said to them, “Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.  “Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.”  And He took them in His arms and began blessing them, laying His hands on them.”
Now, I don’t know about you, but I believe that children have a special place in the heart of our God and Savior Jesus Christ.  And if you knew the way children were many times treated in those days, you would also know that Jesus made a powerful and compelling statement about His love for children and His desire that children be treated with dignity and respect.
I think I would rather stand before Jesus one day and answer to Him for just about anything OTHER than my mistreatment of a child.  I have a feeling there will not be much in the way of mercy or compassion for those who abuse the little ones among us.  I shudder at the thought that I may have, at some time, been guilty of some kind of improper action toward a child and thank God Almighty that the blood of Jesus Christ even covers these sins.

No comments: