Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I Have Enough

As I was taking the girls to school this morning, they were talking about watching one of the many reality shows that is now on television. They were saying that they really enjoyed the show because it showed the real world.
Now, I’m no connoisseur of these shows, and I thought to myself, “What, don’t you guys think you’re living in the real world right now?”
Reality television is far from the reality that most of us know. If someone were to do a reality series based on the lives of ordinary people, it would tank rather quickly, because that reality is one that is mostly mundane, routine, and ordinary. There’s not the drama and crisis that is shown on the so-called reality shows.
Yes, what those shows portray is, in many cases, reality for someone. There truly are car accidents, tense moments in the emergency room, stress-filled meetings, etc. I know…I’ve been there and done that. But in the ordinary course of events for most of us, reality consists of school, exercise, getting along with others, homework, earning money, raising kids, going to church, and keeping the house clean.
I may ask my girls if they think they are living in the real world, or if the real world is somehow beyond what they are experiencing right now. I might be surprised at their answers. We all think we are living the dull life and that everyone else has a much better existence than we do. That is, we think that until we jump the fence into the greener pastures of someone else’s life and discover that they too have weeds, rocks, and other things that make our routine existence seem rather inviting once again.
I don’t know about you, but I see enough reality every day. I see the effects of rape and neglect. I deal with mental and emotional issues that would try anyone’s soul. I know that there are girls “out there” that are hurting far beyond what anyone should have to bear, and that we just don’t have the resources to care for them. I don’t need to live someone else’s reality in order to fulfill my life. I have enough on my plate.

No comments: