Monday, September 17, 2007

Let It Be So

We attended, as usual, church services yesterday. We went to the place we normally go to meet with others and share our faith. I enjoy doing that, and especially so since we’ve moved to Wichita. The church we’re a part of is a dynamic and growing place. It just seems to fit us very well right now at this time in our lives. One of the reasons I like it so well is the singing that takes place each Sunday. Those of you who don’t attend church or don’t sing or enjoy singing and worship probably won’t relate much to this blog entry. That’s OK. Stay with me.
We sing without the benefit of an organ or piano in our church. There is just something about a 300 voice choir singing acappella that causes a stirring of emotion that cannot be experienced by any other means. Yesterday was no exception.
For some reason, though, yesterday’s services were especially emotional for me. There was nothing special about the sermon, the people, etc. Now, don’t get me wrong. Rick’s sermons are always good and yesterday was no exception. But the topic wasn’t an especially hard-hitting one, at least for me. The people were the same, the auditorium was the same, the bulletin was the same. I don’t know what made the services so emotionally intense in me.
We sing 8 or more songs during the worship hour. Some are choruses. Some are old favorites. Some are more contemporary. We sing four-part harmony with the words and music projected on a screen. Our song leader is especially trained in music and works as a choral director would, with dynamic changes, tempo adjustments, and signals and cues to the audience.
At the end of the service, one of the elders usually gives a “blessing”—a short talk, prayer, or observation. Yesterday, however, they said at the close of services that the blessing would be a song, but didn’t say which song it would be. When the time came and the song was put on the screen, I just went silently, “Oh, man!” I knew that as hard of a time as I had had during the services keeping my composure during the songs, I’d never get through this one. And this one was one that I really wanted to be able to sing.
“The Lord Bless You and Keep You” was the song. I knew it well, and also knew the 7-fold “Amen” would be part of it. Sure enough, I had to just listen for a good part of the song. I did, however, manage to croak out the bass line for two or three of the “Amen” lines at the end as well as the first couple of bars at the beginning.
They say there will be singing in heaven. I can’t imagine anything more “heavenly”: than blending in with voices from the world over while singing songs praising and glorifying the God of Heaven and Earth. Let it be so.

No comments: